A theoretical question...

SuperGas61

1 hour ago, Loren said:

There is a group that does vintage racing VORRA I think is it name.

I once took in a race in Reno that a friend was driving in.

One of the highlights for me was watching a very well driven ESSEX 4 racer (between 1919-23 they were powered by an F-head 4 cylinder). This rather large high wheeled (wooden spokes too!) racer really showed what an old car could do sliding around corners and powering out.

Then there is the La Carrera Pan Americana. Which is a revival of the Mexican Road Race done as a Rally with speed sections.

A branch of that group ran a race in Ensenada, Mexico that I participated in. It starts with a hill climb for qualifying then the next day a race from Ensenada to Valle de Trinidad on the highway with a lunch break then back. It favors the 1950s cars but you can run cars up to 1968. The U.S. stock classes have to run drum brakes as only Jaguar had discs in the early 50s. A favorite Unlimited Car is the 1954 Studebaker Coupe with an SBC (since the last Canadian built Studebakers used Chevy engines) In Mexico the rules are a little more casual with regard to safety. They figure it is your responsibility to do things right because it is your hide on the line. American cars of the 1950s are highly encouraged and gain the most attention.

LaCarrera1.jpeg

I love those races...I also like the WRC rally cars in Europe...it looks like a ton of fun, but it also looks totally abusive...LOL...

9 hours ago, SuperGas61 said:

And then you have the Russian ice motorcycle racers... ?

Those people are seriously deranged.

Then again,once you hit the ice you just slide around with nothing to hit. You just have to watch out for the other riders on the track and their seriously sharp studded tires.

The good news is you don't have to worry about them purposly running over you because it would slow them down.

Edited by knuckleharley
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, greg g said:

Based on the username, it suggests this will be for drag racing.  You can make a lot of changes, spend a lot of money and maybe if the stars align, the temperature, humidity,  barometric pressure are perfect,, karma kicks in and you cut a perfect reaction time, you might run a 19 second quarter, at 62.2 mph.  If this is worth the time and trouble, and money, and meets your idea of fun, rock on.

Had a friend in high-school, bought a 63 Chevy II , it had a 194, cu in 6 made120 hp.  He won his class N/stock, and finished 2nd in stock eliminator for the season.  His best time was an 18.7 at 63 mph.  He won most of his races cuz guys in faster cars red-lightd, seeing him half way down the track and their side of the Christmas tree still ticking down at them.  Was it fun, maybe, we had some good laughs at the guys with the 400 plus engines complaining about his starting advantage.  But those were the rules back then.

I actually made the payments on the new Toyota I bought when I got back from VN. Ran Bracket at Cumberland Raceway,and for all practical purpuses,dialed in at infinity. Car had a stone stock 4 cylinder and auto trans,and I just sat at the red light with it in drive and let it shift itself.

What was really funny was running against the A Stock (and I am using the word "stock" loosely) in Bracket Eliminator class at the end of the day. I would almost be at the traps before their light turned green,and there would be a great cloud of tire smoke,and they would blow by me so fast it would almost rock the Toyota. They almost always ran too fast and got eliminated,too.

The first time I dragged there was with a stock 428 Cobra Jet Torino. Had to run against dealer cars that were hauled in on rollbacks,and had radio and heater deletes. They may have been stock in some universe,but it wasn't the one I lived in.