Map Light & Reading Light question

splat1955

Hey guys,

I was reading somewhere....maybe my manual...or a wiring schematic...that there is both a reading light and a map light in the 46-48 Dodges.....don't know about the Plymouths. Anyway, my 48 4 dr has a light in the rear above the rear glass in the headliner. I've also got actuators in the 4 door jambs and a switch on the left side pillar between the front and rear doors.

First, is there both a map light and reading light in these cars? I would guess that the light I have is the reading light. And if there were a " map " light, it would be somewhere in the front driving area...but I can see no other light than the one in the very rear of the car.

Second.....how does the bezel and lens come out of the light fixture in the rear of the car. None of my door actuators or the switch on the pillar seem to turn it on, and since most everything else electrical in the car seem to work, I assume it may be a bad bulb....but I don't know how to get in there to change it. Can anyone shed some light (ha ha....sorry) on this subject? Oh, yeah....I've checked my manual but there is nothing on getting into these rear lights... Thanks.

You will find the map light is there, just a matter if it also works or not. Since I havent been driving my dodge I've forgotton which knob it is but it's one of the the two center top knobs above all the others. Just have to turn it to switch it on. Neither of these knobs are marked like the others for it's purpose.

left knob is for dash light dim and dimmer yet and the right one is for turning on the center dash light (map light)

I converted my dash as you may remember and thus the left switch turns on the map light..and the right one turns on the left and right footwell lights built into the console..

Hey........thanks guys. I've since located the map/panel light and gotten it working...yahoooo! And was able to pull the reading light and find no bulb....threw in a bulb and it works as well! Going to have to go to the parts store on Tuesday and get the correct bulbs....think I threw a tail light bulb in both....might be a bit much for the map/panel light though....Anybody have correct #s for these 2 bulbs......I don't know if the #s in the glove box owners manual are still good...can anyone tell me what they are using? Hey Tim, I didn't know you'd converted your dash....probably cause I'm actually pretty new here...but if you've done a write up on it, I'd like to read it or find out what type of upgrades you did besides the footwell lights. I like that idea also. I find it odd that the only actuators for the interior light are on the passengers side...and on the drivers side only a switch on the pillar between the doors. I'd think it would be the other way around....or at least an actuator for the light in the drivers door. Any thoughts?

Hey...thanks Shel.........My switch also feels as only it has one position...And yeah, it seems the manual does have a couple of discrepencies.....I think I like the 1156 bulb #...gonna write that one down. Thats for the map/panel light, right? Hey, did you say your map/panel light come on when your passenger side door gets opened? Hmmmm....gonna have to check mine, but I am pretty sure it will only come on when I turn the switch..

As I look at the list it seemed strange that the map lights take an 1158, 2 filament type bulb, so I had to go look at my parts dash. It has a 2 filament bulb. Well, actually it had one until I dropped it on the cellar floor.

Now I had to go look a J Edgar as well. Switch feels like only one on position. It is, there is a single filament socket there and an 1156 bulb. Parts dash also has a single filament socket.

Can't always believe the manual.

My map light also comes on when the door is opened. Passenger side that is. There is no switch on the driver's door on my coupe. Seems odd that the driver's door has no light switch.

Were only being courteous to the passenger. The driver was supposed to know where he was at.:rolleyes:

I suppose you could wire in an additional switch on the drivers side.

Once again Shel, you were right.....Seems that the actuator in the front passenger side jamb does activate the map/panel light. Since my kick panels were off of the car when I got it, I was able to jiggle the wires on the actuator in the passenger jamb.....and it came on. Felt a little loose in there so it looks as though I've found something else to attend to. Also there are 2 wires going to that actuator.....Just wondering, is that door also supposed to activate the rear reading light as well....cause it doesn't come on when the door is opened and just wondering if it is supposed to....it didn't come on like the map light when I wiggled the wires. So far, it's only the passenger side rear door that has turned on the light in the rear...besides the hand switch on the drivers side door pillar.

Hey...thanks Shel.........My switch also feels as only it has one position...And yeah, it seems the manual does have a couple of discrepencies.....I think I like the 1156 bulb #...gonna write that one down. Thats for the map/panel light, right? Hey, did you say your map/panel light come on when your passenger side door gets opened? Hmmmm....gonna have to check mine, but I am pretty sure it will only come on when I turn the switch..