Peep Mirror Club

rb1949

Does having any older car put you in the "Peep Mirror Club"? The ones that clamp on the door edge with set screws. Come in a variety of sizes, arm lengths, and angle of the bend in the arm. I only have one on the passenger side, a 4 1/2". It took a while to get the rusty set screws out and replaced. Then it was moved a bit to suit my viewing angle. But I still don't like it. They are not the best for rear viewing. While out shopping I spotted one of those convex mirrors, a 4" round, self stick. I had heard that convex helps. Can't get a much simpler installation, or price. I did add a dab of silicone adhesive because their goo dries out and may fall off. The convex makes a big difference, I can now see more to the rear, including that outward blind spot. Maybe I can back into the skinny garage without ripping off the door handles. I recommend you try one. Have only seen one peep offered that already has the convex glass. Almost ordered it, but didn't like the angle style. The cheap addition works fine. Don't think one is necessary for the driver side. My driver mirror is on the door, not a peep on the frame. Good luck with your rear views.

I had peeps on my 49 and found that they worked best mounted a bit higher up the door frame.  However, looking back to that experience I now go with swan neck mirrors.  Be sure you get the mirror with the second smaller mount screw for anti rotational of the base mount.  these are available on e-bay at a decent cost and also most accessory shops in catalogs and at swap meets will have these available....be careful in mounting these also as often the vent glass willcause you a headache and do not be alarmed when the passenger side is of no use to the driver at all..it was not till much much later than even factory passenger rear view mirrors were actually of benefit while driving..they were a sport look and balance trim item only at that time.

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

The passenger side was useless, which is why I added the convex to improve rear visibility. And moved it down, to see the mirror better behind the vent. Styles vary, I don't care for the Swan Neck. This has 2 adjustments, at the base and the mirror head. Might regain the old ability of looking over the shoulder.

I have convex mirrors on both sides and it's perfect for me.  On the driver side is a convex piece (purchased just the glass) from Hagan.  A bit pricey.  It's has a subtle crown that gets just a modest expansion of the view to the rear.  On the passenger side I "stuck on" a rather inexpensive generic unit which has a much broader field of vision.  Between those two and the stock rear view mirror I have very good rear vision.

And a little tip,.....when looking at the view behind in a convex mirror, focus on the lanes not the car behind to judge the situation.

Passenger side, big convex - cheap

IMG_5311.JPG

Edited by mrwrstory
typo