Please Read The Update Announcement... ×

Toe-in adjustment

DonaldSmith

I fiddled with my tie rods when I installed the new power steering gearbox.  So I've been meaning to check the toe-in (or toe-out).  

I jacked up the front of the car and scribed a ball point pen line on each tire as I rotated the tire.  (Hold the hand still, to get a line that doesn't waver.)  Then I let the car down and bounced it a few times.  Then I compared the distance between the lines at the front and back of the tires.  

A rough check showed 1-1/2 inch toe in!.  It should be zero to 1/8 inch. I made a somewhat better gauge and got 1-3/4".   

So I got under the car, and took 7/8" out of each tie rod length.  Right?  Only now it obviously has excessive toe-out.  Hmmm....   Better do the math.  

Off by 1-3/4 inches.  But I only have to bring the back of the tires 7/8" closer together.  That's only 7/16" off each tie rod.  But wait!

The back of the tire is about 13-1/2 inches from the center of the wheel, but the tie rod ends are back about 7-1/2 inches.  That's 7-1/2 over 13-1/2, or 15 over 27, times 7/16".  It works out to slightly less than 1/4 inch to shorten each tie rod.  I'll give that a shot.  I'll start with my original tie rod lengths and shorten each one by only about a quarter inch.   

Then I'll have to check the toe again, but it should be close.  I think the steering is close to being centered, but I'll check it on a flat road, or riding the crown.  If I have to adjust the centering, I'll have to check the toe again.  Then I'll be an expert.

To me, expertise comes only after making each possible mistake, some more than once.  Then, if I don't forget, I know better the next time.   

• Like 1

I had a similar experience. Here is where I believe the problems lies. In the service manual they show setting the toe in with the car on alignment turnstiles, when you jack the car up the camber changes. it doesn't take many turns to get them way out of way. First you need to set the steering wheel straight and set the drivers side, take a measurement from the frame, then set the set the passenger side. Or after a couple of hours messing with it, take it to an old style independent alignment shop and get it done. Been there done it,

I normally just run a tape from the inner edge of one wheel to the other in the front and then do the same to the rear of the front tire I'm about the same location relative to the front. I then just adjust the tie rods accordingly. I am sure there are much more precise ways, so far the tires are wearing well. The other way sounds like a lot of math!