Purolator Oil Filter Cross Reference Please?

Hey there, I've got an old Dodge pickup (1948) but it has a 1953 "D46" engine in it and i'm not sure if the oil filter element housing is from the 48 or 53. But at any rate, I've had the sock type in there in the past but would like to move to the canister type just to save up my cuss words.. :mad:

I came across some OLD Purolator Oil Filter Refill elements "N•16" is what it says on the box. also states that it's a replacement for the "N" type filter elements.

It fits perfectly perfect and I'm wondering if it cross references to a newer model or brand? I can't find anything on the web about the N16….??

It measures 3 7/8" w 5 1/4 h. 

Can i switch from the sock type to the canister type?

I noticed that the lid does not have a spring (presummably to hold the canister down?) And at the bottom there is no stopper on the inner middle input shaft but that N16 stops and sits on the outside lip of the canister itself. hope this is OK.???

I've tried the common six 51011 and frame equivalents but they are about an inch or more to short.

Not sure if I have an oddball canister?  It's larger than most of the others I have by just over an inch and it's got the large bar wingnut on top instead of just a bolt head.

I guess what I'm asking is
1. anyone got a purolator catalog they could cross reference that N16 with ANYTHING that I could find currently?

and

2. can I use a non sock type and have it do it's job?

mine does NOT look like this below but I see that it's happy with the N-15 purolator.
143-589-thickbox.jpg
Edited by ferdball

If your canister calls for the sock type, you need to stick with that style. The filters that use the paper type filter insert work differently and won't work properly with your sock type can. Do you know what brand filter canister you have? My Deluxe Filter calls for a JC filter, which crosses to a Napa 1011,  or Baldwin JC405. The Baldwin's fit MUCH better and you won't be cussing to put one in.

Merle

ok, ordered up a couple of the baldwins as per your recommendations. If the measurements are spot on it should be a breeze!

All the local places (napa, oreileys, autozone) didnt stock it but could order it with shipping charges.. So I found it online for cheaper.

Kinda sad how I' always TRY to help out the local parts store but it's getting so I cant afford to anymore....... 

Thanks Merle for the experienced reply!