(2nd) New Motor Back In

Jim Shepard

Well, I got my new motor back in Saturday. Here's a couple of photos. Hoping to have it back on the road in a couple of weeks and have all the bugs worked out by the time of the big BBQ (April 7th).

I was lucky. You might say I "dodged" one. I did have an exerience with the new oil pump I didn't expect. With it installed, the dizzy wouldn't fit all the way in. I finally had to re-install the old pump. Then the dizzy dropped right in. I compared the two and couldn't see any obvious difference. Anyone ever run into this before?:)

post-280-13585366633734_thumb.jpg

post-280-13585366663781_thumb.jpg

Well, I got my new motor back in Saturday. Here's a couple of photos. Hoping to have it back on the road in a couple of weeks and have all the bugs worked out by the time of the big BBQ (April 7th).

I was lucky. You might say I "dodged" one. I did have an exerience with the new oil pump I didn't expect. With it installed, the dizzy wouldn't fit all the way in. I finally had to re-install the old pump. Then the dizzy dropped right in. I compared the two and couldn't see any obvious difference. Anyone ever run into this before?:)

Let me know the specifics about the rebuild, I may have to deal with mine in the near future. I have a weird clanking noise in the lower front area of mine. Could that be the harmonic balancer?

Some distributor/oil pumps have an off set tang to insure the distributor only goes in one way. Also long block (Desoto and Crashler) distributors have a longer shaft and will not go all the way in on short block (Dodge Plymouth) engines. And lastly my Desoto engine must be at or near top dead center or my distributor will not go in or come out.

Some distributor/oil pumps have an off set tang to insure the distributor only goes in one way. Also long block (Desoto and Crashler) distributors have a longer shaft and will not go all the way in on short block (Dodge Plymouth) engines. And lastly my Desoto engine must be at or near top dead center or my distributor will not go in or come out.

the end gets caught between #3 and #4 piston skirts when they are at or near bottom DC. i discovered this the hard way, and slightly bent the shaft when removing it. doh.