1953 Plymouth cranbrook 6 to 12 volt conversion

Lakermatt

This is an interesting point, as I have though of buying the GM single wire conversion alt.

Can anyone report, on problems or failures related to this item, are they more durable than a 6 volt genny and reg?

If you arre going to a 6 volt alt, should it havea higher amp rating, especially if you are running itmes such as voltage to 6 to 12 volt convertors.

Does using a 6 volt alt, work better, if you have a 6 volt powered AC system, is there such an animal?

Also, many members have reported that with a 12 volt conversion,there engines spin over much faster, and longer, with the 12 volt battery.I have used 12 volts to my 6 volt starter in the past, she spun much faster.

Is this a just a case of feeding 12 volts to a 6 volt starter, as I know a few Guys doing this with 0 problems. To convert to 12 volts, in my case, which I have no plan, it would have to benefit me in faster hot starts...

As Don said I am very happy with mine. It charges 13.5-14V most of the time, headlights do not dim at stoplights and it has been very reliable. Would buy another one in a heartbeat. Plus if I'm in say Nashville, TN and it stops charging a stop by O'reilly's or Autozone late on a Saturday night will fix me right up.

Matt, Converting to 12v is not as daunting a task as alot of people make it out to be. I used a 92 mazda protege alternator that I had spare, it was a great fit, vbelt pulley lined up great, only had to make a top bracket/slide adjuster. I then ordered a cheap harness from speedway ($140) Whole install took one weekend. I used the starter as is (starts fast, but no problems in 4months of heavy driving) I did change the coil and the start switch, all other switches are stock(including the 6v indicator switch). Tail light sockets from a.zone ($10) headlights ($14) In the process of getting a sending unit for f.gauge but should be easy enough with a runtz resistor. I was in the same boat with shot wiring etc and started to restore the 6v system but old parts are expensive and unreliable. Couldnt be happier with my conversion. I say go for it. I also now can add a c.d., HEI ignition etc... Also, as one who had 6v and went to 12v, I have to say that the h.lights are DEFINITELY ALOT BETTER!