Baby Steps

PhilJohnson

I worked on the 50 Coronet yesterday, finally took off the starter. It had been dragging really bad. I've gotten rid of almost all my other projects so now I have more time to concentrate on the Dodge. Progress has been slow, slowed down even more by the fact that now the fuel pump arm has fallen off the darn pump :mad: I think I'll have to pull the pan to get it out. I sent in my bond, hopefully a new title will be showing up soon :) My goal for this year is to get it driveable before all the leaves fall off the trees. So I've been doing a little bit each week. Last week I cleaned out the car so I could work on it. The poor Dodge had been used as a tool/parts storage shed for nearly 8 months :rolleyes: I really need to get a garage. The only major monkey wrench in this mess is the transmission. Still trying to figure out what the mystery click and the clunks are. Probably won't replace the transmission this year, since it does shift fine and moves ok. I really want to get at least a hundred back road miles on it before the year is out.

My boss always says, "If you don't set a schedule, you will never reach a goal." Not sure I always agree but it is good to see you have set a goal and are working towards it. good luck and keep us posted.

Well I just got a little closer to that goal today. My title came in the mail today :) Everyone told me good luck trying to get a legit title from the state. Well all that well wishing paid off :D The process of titling an untitled car isn't all that difficult, just takes time and calling different DMV people until you get one that is helpful. A little verbal arm twisting and naming statutes goes a long way too. It cost me 100 dollars (cost of the bond) more than what it would have to register with a clean title. The guy I bought the car from was a really great guy (West Side Auto Sales Eau Claire) and he actually gave me a hundred dollars towards the bond. The car had originally came with a title for a 51 Dodge and the vin was nowhere near a match. We tracked the owners back into the early 80s so it's been mis-registered for at least 30 some years.

• 2 weeks later...

gastank.jpg

I took another baby step last week. Took the fuel tank out and ground off all the surface rust. It needs a good cleaning too, tons of junk inside the tank. It'll probably get the molasses treatment. I'm still waiting on the starter. Probably take the oil pan off next to fish out the missing arm for the fuel pump when it quits raining this week :mad:

Coronet.jpg

The most recent picture of the ole Dodge. I'm thinking of repainting the top with the same color as the body. I'm not a big fan of two tone paint jobs. But first all the mechanical stuff is getting done. I want to be able to drive this thing this year before white fluffy stuff starts hitting the ground.