Newbie to forum

hey all new to the forum , ive got a 51 dodge b3b 3/4 ton pickup a drug out from behind my grandfathers garage. the truck started off with my great grandfather brand new, then my grandfather got a a hold of it and something happened to it about 25 years ago and it sat ever since. i just completed my first resto, on a 70 mustang grande, and I got the itch to start another project. my first thought was theres nothing out there for this truck and im going to have a difficult time doing anything. but now ive found alot of info, and im sure alot more to come since ive joined the forum. what i need so far for this project is drivers and passenger side doors w/ the split vent window. if you have the regular doors let me know im interested in those as well. my photobucket has a bunch of pictures of the truck as well as my others.

as of now i need 2 doors,

possibly a hood, my hinges are rusted off,

also does anyone know what the bolt pattern is for these trucks? looking to try and get something thats tubeless, what a pain it was to find 16.5 tubes.

http://s237.photobucket.com/albums/ff298/foxyahasracing/truck%20%20car/

Awesome project. The best part is that it has family history. First priority would be to get some rubber on the front so that it can be rolled around. Your truck should have a 5 X 4.5" bolt pattern. It's fairly common so it shouldn't be difficult to find wheels to fit. You may need to drill a hole for the line-up pin on the brake drums. Or you can just mount tubeless tires on your rims. Just clean them up good and mount the tires. Many of us are running tires that way. I don't remember what size 16" tires are being used. My 3/4 ton truck runs 15" wheels and I'm running 235/75R-15's tubeless on the stock, repainted, rims.

Welcome aboard,

Merle

Thanks everyone. I picked up the mustang from the original owner in 2009, used to have a rag top which you would never tell. It's not perfect but for a first resoration I think I did pretty well. What really drives me to do this truck is the history. I myself won't be going with the original colors I was thinking more of a purple and flat black. Tires are going on working on having someone throw some tubes in them as we speak. Going to be fun. Thanks for the sizing on the rims that helps out alot when it comes to picking up a set of tubeless rims and tires. I'll be on the forum alot asking plenty of questions since this is going to be my first 6 volt system as well as anything post war. My nieghbor has a few 50s lincolns so I'll be able to ask him if I need to. As for body parts where is everyone getting there stuff? Also is there anyone places reproducing any of the mechanical/ suspension parts?

Thanks

-Joe

Nice project truck. Doors don't look too bad. Hood hinge is an easy fix if you don't need it to be stone stock concours perfect. Piano hinge from Home Depot, where they keep the angle iron and such. Just short tack it on with a mig. You can get up to 4' long pieces.

My 49 1/2 ton stock had 16s with 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern. Tubeless replacement is a 215/85-16. Currently has 1978 Ramcharger wheels, perfect offset and backspacing. Will be running 1978/9 L'il Red Express slot wheels currently on my 69 Dodge 1/2 ton.

Any STEEL Ford car, mid-large Dodge car or truck from the 70s is a viable donor wheel. If you want aluminum or magnesium rims you need to convert to modern wheel studs, stock are too short with the wrong seat taper. Locator pin is no problem either way, pop the drum off, lay it open side down on a flat surface, smack pin with hammer. They pop out pretty easily. For what it is worth, Ranger spare wheels are drilled for the pin...

The bottom of the doors are completely pealed away rotted from the inside so not noticeable from the outside. The piano idea is really good never thought of that. My idea for this is for a driver/ratrod so what ever it takes to make it look good but not hacked I'm ok with. I'm not looking to build a show winner but something cool to drive.

Yeah, that's the basic idea for mine too, but with a nice 2 tone paint job. Something to advertise with at the farmer's market. Maybe haul my color matched motorcycle around once in awhile, bad back, sometimes I can't ride for months.

Mine is a VERY long term project truck. Hasn't been licensed since 1974.

Yeah I'm just not too sure how the lines of the truck will look with a 2 tone paint. I hope to have the body restored, in a couple years. Then I'll work on the flat head. More aless looking to have something to tow around the mustang with. Not looking for a crazy restoration just a driver to puut around in. Should be cool when it's done . I'll be doing a restoration thread so keep an eye out for it.

Yeah I'm just not too sure how the lines of the truck will look with a 2 tone paint. I hope to have the body restored, in a couple years. Then I'll work on the flat head. More aless looking to have something to tow around the mustang with. Not looking for a crazy restoration just a driver to puut around in. Should be cool when it's done . I'll be doing a restoration thread so keep an eye out for it.

I am also bouncing around a 2 tone paint job. I found this one, it's pretty sweet. Something else to think about I suppose.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=559418&highlight=pilothouse

You wouldnt happen to know what year or model had a body line that went through the whole door would you. I'm looking at buying a set of doors but there's a body line that goes through the whole door up until the b pillar which my truck doesn't have. I'm interested in them only because it's different . Any idea? I'll post a picture later of them . I can't even seem to find a picture of these doors on any pilot.

• 2 months later...

recently bought a descent 1951 and several parts trucks biggest issues with the running one is brakes , dash , and doors and no tailgate .........any suggestions for the newbie ?

btw hopefully will have plenty of extra body parts to sell

Edited by fcf00123

Here's a 52 3/4 ton flat bed I built a camper on 20 years ago. It's on non-op status with the Ca. DMV. It has good grill parts and good front fenders and hood and cab. No engine or trans but does have a flat bed frame to go with it when I remove the camper. $450 takes it and I can throw in a 57 318 Poly V8 for an add'l $200 if interested. I'm in Norther Calif. about an hour above Sacramento if anyone is interested. You can see the flat bed frame laying on the bank next to it in the second photo. It's a Ford frame but a license plate could cover the FORD script on the rear.

FYI...the bolt pattern on these 15" rims is 5 on 5 I believe.

Bseries.jpg

MVC-007F-6.jpg