OT photoshop question

Normspeed

One of the forum folks posted some photos of a car and they changed the entire color of the car in different photos. I'm wondering, is that possible only on high end software like photoshop? I have some other software including Paintbuster but can't figger how to do it. Here's what I want to do, in the photo I want to experiment with different colors for the chrome bolt covers before I paint them. I painted them once with a darker Ford blue but it dodn't look right with the Chrysler blue motor. Had to dunk 'em in paint remover to get the chrome back.

motorswap013Small.jpg[/img]

Norm.... when it comes to software, in order to do what you want to do, you need particularily a "selection" tool such as a magic wand, or some tool that will allow you to pull the selection out of the picture into another layer... then you change the color of that layer to what you want.... without modifying anything.... there are some lower end software that will help you do it, but photoshop really is the best possible option.

Allan

Norm, I am usually guilty of never using 10 words to answer a question when I can get away with 50 :)

The short answer to your question is that you do not need a high-end piece of software, in fact the picture editor that is included with virtually all Windows OS, called MS Paint, is really pretty good for a freebie. I use it a lot for marking up construction site inspection photos etc.

You certainly don't have all the whistles and bells of an Adobe photoshop, but the airbrush tool in paint would let you "repaint" the entire car...in about 3 coats....and there are other tools that would allow touching up just the bolt heads.

You can customise/define colours as well.

Rgds,

Tim