Where can I get a rear upper shock mount and some 1 1/2" lowering blocks?

rockable

Aarrgghh! I worked all weekend on the suspension of my '41 Plymouth and the only thread that seized up was on the upper rear shock mount. I couldn't get it to let go, so I wrung it off. Where can I get another? (I hope I don't have to repair this one.)

Also, any recommendations of where I can get 1 1/2" wide lowering blocks and some U bolts?

Thanks

Rock

Both of your questions can be answered with a stop at your local Off Road shop. Early Jeeps have 1 1/2" wide springs and blocks can be found. As for the shock mounts, many off road shocks come with a bolt on frame mount. These are not regularly used and are usually just put away for future use. If you ask nicely you should be able to score one for free.

I may have a shock mount. I'll take a look.

Also, what size blocks are you looking for?

BloodyKnuckles

Edited by BloodyKnuckles

This very same thing happened to me and I was advised on this forum to drill and tap a new hole in the end of the stud in order to be able to screw in a new bolt. I was told that it is only there to hold the top of the shock on the shoulder and it didnt need to be very strong. Well, I did that and it seems to be okay so far. Just like you, I would rather have used a new/used part but noone volunteered to sell me one and there are no junkyards in this part of the country with anything like an antique car.

I hope this helps

I'm going to try 2".........but something tells me I'll likely end up with 3". I chopped one coil out of the front suspension. What do you suggest. The car is not completely ready to sit down yet, so i can't judge it. Because I had to cut the U bolts, I'm going to have to install something before I can get a look. :)

Yeah, George. I knew I could do that.........assuming the other nut doesn't seize when I try to remove the mount. I was just hoping for an easy, ready to go fix so that I can line up my parts for next weekend's work. I may end up fixing this one.

I was lucky enough to grab a pair of old Fenton 1 3/4 inch tall blocks for the narrow springs on EBay for $20. The U-Bolts were not long enough but picked some up at an offroad shop. I also took my rear springs apart cleaned/painted. Removed one leaf and put some spring liner from Speedway between the leaves. Replaced the shackle bushings and silencer blocks.

Now sets better and is much more quiet.