oil pump priming

BeBop138

Lee,

Since the oil pump is positive displacement the amount of priming should not be critical. Pull the plugs and spin the engine with the starter until the gauge is happy, then re-install the plugs and fire it up.

You might feel better if you shot some oil into the cylinders before you spin it just to wet the rings.

-Randy

Insalled the pump tonite ---lined the shaft up and put the pump in and snugged the bolts. I took the dist. and turned the rotor to 7 o`clock and it dropped right into place without any rotation of the shaft---what luck..........Lee:D:D

nice! dont you love when things just fall right in to place? if only girls were that easy! :D

Randy, I have done the grease trick for years on my Chevies and spun the pump to prime them. The suppliers are so adamant about dunking the pump in oil and priming them----is this just a CYA move? More thoughts from others?

I like to use vaseline instead of grease because it completely and quickly dissolves on the oil. Grease has the potential of balling up in places and plugging up the motor.