Powerflow 6

flatheadjim

Hey Guy's, My 48 P-15 engine developed a rear main seal leak causing the Clutch to chatter on takeoff. I ordered a Rope seal to repair the leak, upon removing the bearing cap I find a neopreme type seal that had some metal in it causing the leak. I checked my engine block number which is P-15 184996 which is what I thought was a 1948 218 block number BUT my engine has the newer type main seal. Upon futher inspection of the engine I found a casting Date behind the Distributor of 6-21-55. Is this Block a 1955 Powerflow 6 engine of 230 Cubes? If so, how did it get a P-15 stamped on it? Anyone know of any other identifing marks on the block that would say it's a 230. If I had the head off I could measure the stroke, maybe I can get that measurement thru the botton since I have the pan off. Anyway, just trying to figure out what engine I have in my Coupe. What say you.

The p15 indicates the block if from the correct series. Perhaps some one updated it using 230 rods and crank from a later engine, and used the upgraded seal in the process. When I had a problem with my 218, I used the more modern seal. You can determine the stroke using the method Don noted above. Just make sure your wire is long enough 4 3/8 =218. 4 5/8 = 230.

Don't expect miracles even with a repaired crank and new seal, the leak was still present, not as bad but, but gone either.

Edited by greg g

I just installed an Edgy Head so I can not measure the stroke thru the head. I tried to measure the stroke from the pan side several times getting a different measurment each time, if I had that third hand we sometimes need I might have gotten a good measurment. Anyway, it's no matter if it's stroked or not I just love my Flathead. The block also has the water pump bypass for the head which tells me it's newer than 48 also. I used the older waterpump type since that was what I have. I think a Block was purchased and installed sometime in the 50s, it has been rebuilt only once since , it has an overbore of .020 on the pistons. This engine runs stronger than the one I had in my 51 truck, and now with the new head and dual carbs it should be even better. When my Winter workings are finished I intend to post pics of my car, I'm pretty proud of my 48 coupe and want to show her off. until then. Keep em running. Flatheadjim