1950 1Ton parts truck-what will fit my 49 1/2 ton???

jmooner3

I have an opportunity to get a 1950 1TON parts truck. the motor is good:D, new carb and brakes. No front clip and some parts missing. Question for the forum, what from this one ton will fit on my 1/2 ton 49 pilot house? Motor probably yes, seat, transmission etc... I think I read wheels are different size for 1 Ton, are the brakes different 1/2 ton to 1ton?

My boys are helping type this posting(and will read the reply), Luke asked to add that Santa brought us some parts this year..;) The original hood ornament, a beautiful new horn, and handles!!!

Once I'm done using what I can for my 1/2 ton, the remaining parts will likely be up for grabs to you guys with one tons... I have an engine hoist poised and ready to pull the engine, was going to machine it for cyl taper...and now, might just swap the parts engine in... I don't yet have the "parts truck" but hopefully before spring I can pick it up and get to the next phase of this project!

Any insight on what will fit is welcome!

All the parts will interchange, the front hubs and brakes are different but the axle itself is the same. The rear is heavier and will bolt in. What type of rim do you have on the rear of the 1 ton, single or dual? Both have an offset, the dual has much more than the single. The engine and trans also interchange. One of my 1 tons came with a 3 speed floor shift and I swapped in a 4 speed from a 1/2 ton with no problem. I swapped the flange on the back of the trans and all bolted together.

Edited by 4852dodge
more info

Jay,

Sounds like Santa's listening to those fine young men in your home. A parts truck would be invaluable in more ways than we can list. Just having spare fasteners to grab that are correct is worth a whole lot, before you even think about all the other parts that have already been mentioned here on this thread.

There are so many parts that are only available from donors. We're not like Ford and Chebrolay guys with full-color repro catalogs to peruse.If you can afford it, go get it. You will be glad, many times over, that you did.

Then help other guys on this forum out with their needs, after you are finished. Worked for me.

Pay it forward . . . . . .

Good Luck

I have not seen the 1950 -1ton truck in several years, as I recall it was in better shape than mine last I saw it. I think all the brakes were done on it (mine are not ), not sure about the wiring, but the engine runs (mine is stripped to the block waiting boring) there was no front clip as I believe it was sent out to be professionally done there was a snafu that caused the parts to be "misplaced" so the partially done truck is front tin-less. It sounds like It's further along than mine. As I recall the 50 is not the 5 window cab and is the long box. I really like the idea of driving the little 1/2 ton pilot house. However it may make sense for me to swap what I have to the 1950 1ton as it's closer to done. Ploping my front clip on that truck puts me wayyyyahead of the game.

Still I started with this 49 1/2 ton and I think that's what I want to build...so it might get done with the 50's engine and parts. Sounds like I may be able to use some of the brakes? I believe the 1 ton is not a duelly, are the wheels/tires bigger in diameter than the 1/2 ton's... Could I just swap hubs & wheels to take advantage of the new brakes? Or even axles hubs, brakes all together, or some combination of that onto the 49?

With a longer box I assume the wheel base is different. If not, I could swap cabs and build the 1/2 ton short box body on the 50 1ton frame... First step is to actually get the truck and then I'll be able to make a plan..Keep the ideas flowing.

Your collective advice and council will help me get something on the road! And at the end of the day ther'll be parts for the forum-folks. Paying it forward sounds great, I love the idea of helping others while growing my project towards the finish line!;)

I started with a 51 1/2 ton and picked up a 48 1 ton for parts. It turned out the 1/2 ton was in worse shape and I built the 1 ton instead. I have not regretted it. The 1 ton is a 108 inch stake body. I have gotten a lot of use out of the flatbed over the years hauling stuff that would not fit in my new truck.

I have not seen the 1950 -1ton truck in several years, as I recall it was in better shape than mine last I saw it. I think all the brakes were done on it

brakes may be in tough condition if the truck has been sitting for several years. the wheel cylinders may not be any good, or you might get lucky. i'd say there's a better than 70% chance at least a few of the wheel cylinders will leak, if they work at all. hope you get lucky, though. :)

wally

If the 1 ton has the 6 lug Budd type (locking ring) rims I believe that the brake drums are bigger than a half ton, but I have been using a 52 1/2 ton as a parts source for my 49 1 ton for years-last weekend I pulled the engine and trans out of it for a potential rebuildable core. Just can't get myself motivated to get going on it! Mike