More about the Plymouth exhumation......

BobT-47P15

Here's the link to site with the most up-to-date info on the digging and viewing....along with car show application.

http://www.buriedcar.com/imgUL/tulsarama%20open%20show%20v4.pdf

My next question: where are those who have booked rooms going to stay??

I was browsing the list of Tulsa motels/hotels tonite......and there seem to be rooms available at most, best I could tell from their websites. Only one said 'not available' for that date. Prices range from $60s to $90s ---and up if desired. Some closer to downtown....some farther out up to 10 or 12 miles. Haven't reserved my room yet, but going to jump on it in next few days.

I booked a room in the Double Tree downtown early on. Still on track to go with about 3-4 other gear-head buddies of mine. We do need to figure out where we all can meet. This will be too good of an opportunity to miss. Photo op....ala Don Coatney et al. Don...you still planning on being there? You are one of the organizational guru's of this crowd. Ideas?

I thought the POC was having its own show in the area. The tulsa show in invitation only and I think my chances are slim of getting an invite!

Ed-

There is also an "open" show, which is what the entry form is for. $20 and you can park your car there... I think this also includes an entry ticket to the invitational show.

Pete

Pete.....I think that is correct......two shows. The invitational and then the other for all who wish to join in. I think the invitational is inside, the other outside. I will probably enter the $20 event. Not going to worry about the other.

In reviewing the ad, it says there is an admission of $5 for upper level seating for the unveiling, and $10 for lower level seating. That $10 also gets you into the invitational show. The outside show fee gets you a parking space and two badges. (Don't know that you can make any arrests, tho.)

At the moment that looks like the best option Pete. I just posted a note over on POC asking for an update on the Tulsa area POC plans. Maybe they will get something going yet. But in the meantime....I like the way you are thinking.

I think I saw something on the info page that asks "is your car club caravanning to Tulsa"? And how many do you think will be coming? It sounds as if they will try to reserve space on a club basis. Supposed to tell them via an entry form. Welllll, this IS the "P15-D24 Club" isn't it?????

I expect they would buy it if we say so.....thereby get a group space. How about that?? We would need some sort of halfway accurate estimate of attendance. :)

I think I saw something on the info page that asks "is your car club caravanning to Tulsa"? And how many do you think will be coming? It sounds as if they will try to reserve space on a club basis. Supposed to tell them via an entry form. Welllll, this IS the "P15-D24 Club" isn't it?????

I expect they would buy it if we say so.....thereby get a group space. How about that?? We would need some sort of halfway accurate estimate of attendance. :)

Bob-

Not sure exactly how many from the P15-D24 group are attending, wondering if it might be a bigger group as a POC gathering? The POC doesn't seem to be lifting a finger to organize anything at this point. I'm not offically a memeber of the POC though, I let my membership lapse when the crackdown of the "authentic and correct" police came down on the POC forums a few years ago. I still post on the POC forum from time to time, and I suppose if I needed to re-start my membership to participate in the group at Tulsa I would. Otherwise, I'm all for an informal gathering of friends with cool cars, if we can all get into a space at the open show.

Just looking over the entry form again...

tulsa3.jpg

It's the same price per car if you are part of a club or a lone wolf. Entering as a club might be more difficult logistcally, in that someone would have to gather all of the $$ and send in the entry form with one check for the total. I sent my entry form in yesterday, so I've already paid. I suppose the only dissadvantage to the individual entrys is perhaps not being able to park as a group a the show.

I would imagine that this will fill up fast, so getting your forms in shortly would probably be a good idea. The entry form does not state if there is a limit to the number of cars in the open show, but does state that submitting an entry does not constitute acceptance to the show. Wonder what the criteria is for acceptance, asside from first come first serve?

Pete

Maybe we should plan a little meet-n-greet after the unveiling which is supposed to last from 5-8pm on Friday?

We could figure out a parking lot, or food place somewhere, chat it up for a while. We could also get a bit more organized for parking as a group at the open show on Saturday, as we will have a better idea who will be there...

What'cha think?

Pete

Here's the address for the 3 targets in Tulsa. If any of those are close to the area anyone should be a fine meeting place. Do we have anyone that knows the area?

1701 S Yale Ave

Tulsa, OK 74112

10711 E 71st St

Tulsa, OK 74133

14009 E 21st St

Tulsa, OK 74134

1701 S Yale Ave

Tulsa, OK 74112

hoteltotarget.jpg

This is the closest target to the convention center, about 6 miles to the east.

Here's a couple more options-

There are two Sonic drive-in's within 3 miles of the convention center:

tulsasonic.jpg

And, there is an Albertson's grocery about the same distance as the Sonic's, in fact it is only a couple of blocks from one of the Sonics.

albertsons.jpg

All of these look like they would be easy to get to on surface streets, rather than the freeway as indicated by Google maps.

I have never been to Tulsa, so I don't have any idea what these places are like...

The sonics would be fun, we could grab a quick bit to eat, but they may be over-run with car-guys looking for the same thing. And, I don't know how many of us there may be, so the Sonic parking lot might be too small.

Any other thoughts?

Pete

Here's a closer look at the Albertson's parking lot, with Sonic right around the corner.

This looks like it might work ok, we could gather at the Albertson's lot, and if anyone is hungry, they could zip around the corner and take in the Sonic.

Thoughts?

Pete

Here's a closer look at the Albertson's parking lot, with Sonic right around the corner.

This looks like it might work ok, we could gather at the Albertson's lot, and if anyone is hungry, they could zip around the corner and take in the Sonic.

Thoughts?

Pete

Opps, forgot the image. I still can't edit a post on the new forum without a system crash...

Pete

sonicalbert.jpg

Tulsa is halfway easy to get around in. There are certain confusing (to me) streets right downtown. Otherwise there are numbered streets---lowest close to downtown, highest farther out. Also the big name streets like Harvard, Yale, Memorial and others. I can't tell where the supermarket and Sonic are from location of the event....but probably not that far.

Just FYI......11th Street thru Tulsa is the old Route 66.

Tulsa is halfway easy to get around in. There are certain confusing (to me) streets right downtown. Otherwise there are numbered streets---lowest close to downtown, highest farther out. Also the big name streets like Harvard, Yale, Memorial and others. I can't tell where the supermarket and Sonic are from location of the event....but probably not that far.

Just FYI......11th Street thru Tulsa is the old Route 66.

Bob-

This is the map of the sonic/albertsons that shows the convention center. It's about 2.5-3 miles or about 6 minutes according to Google. Looks like easiest route is 11th st east to S Lewis and then a couple of blocks south.

Pete

albertsons.jpg