Starter- 12 volt conversion-$135.00

Lou Earle

My 34 plym has been converted to 12 volt. However it still has the 200ci engine. When I start it up sounds like whirl wind in there - and to violent

So took another old big starter 6v to shop he converted it to 12 v for 135 bucks- completely rebuilt - new coils brushes starter gear etc.

Not a bad way to go for me - gives me peace of mind that I am not going to bust a tooth on flywheel when engaging.

Lou

ps

Now that master cyls are 215 to 250 bucks each I am taking one to local machine shop to see what they can do re sleeving for.

Will post results later- hopefully they can do job for a lot less. Would be nice to get s steel sleeved for about 150

Lou

Now that master cyls are 215 to 250 bucks each I am taking one to local machine shop to see what they can do re sleeving for.

Will post results later- hopefully they can do job for a lot less. Would be nice to get s steel sleeved for about 150

Lou

Try White Post Restorations. I am pretty sure they will be quite a bit less than $150 and I believe their price includes return shipping. Turn around is very quick also. http://www.whitepost.com/brake.html

There are other companies out there that do this work also.

"A good 6 volt starter would last a very long time in a 12 volt car. I've seen a few 12 volt conversions retaining the 6 volt starter without any issues"

that is true however I had a 12 volt system pushing a 6 volt starter on a model a 200 ci engine. It chipped a tooth off. Several other folks have had the same problem. My 34 200 ci engine was really flying when starting- that was not the problem it was the violent engagement that worried me. I usually do not change or convert the starters but I do on small engines now.

Lou