Heat shields

Normspeed

I'd like to round up whatever heat shields were used on our flatheads. I know they were used, but never had one on any of my flatheads (46, 47, 2 55s, and 2 53s).

I guess there was one down on or near the fuel pump, also something that went under the single carb. Anyone have some photos, or better yet, some used ones they might like to part with?

check the downloads section of the main page for a template for the fuel pump shield. The under carb deal was usually a pheolic spacer till the later 50's when they changed to the newer style carbs there was a piece of shiet metal which stuck out to the front and sides.

Norm,

The fuel pump heat shield sits on top of the fuel pump. I've never seen one that goes under the carb. Nothing listed in the parts book either for under the carb. Just the one over the pump. Anyway, to use the heat shield you need a fuel pump with a post on it. The shield has a hole to fit over the post, then fastened with a wing nut. If you have the mechanical pump on the car you could just pick up a piece of threaded rod for the post. Remove one of the screws that hold the pump together and replace it with the threaded rod. The other end of the heat shield is fasted on by the first lower bolt washer of the exhaust manifold. You only need to loosen that nut and slide the shield under the washer to fasten that end down. The following was taken from a post in June 2007.

ksujames,

I found a place that reproduces Heat Shields.

Paul Taylor Industries

P.O. Box 618

Arroyo Grande, CA. 93421

Excellent Original Heat Shield Reproduction

Excellent Service, mine came today.

The Kit was $35 with $7 S&H.

$42 was my total for a Shield for my 1948 Chrysler Royal (C-38)

If I were you I would Write this Dude and get one.

Tom Skinner

check the downloads section of the main page for a template for the fuel pump shield. The under carb deal was usually a pheolic spacer till the later 50's when they changed to the newer style carbs there was a piece of shiet metal which stuck out to the front and sides.

Hmmmmm, I have never seen that part listed in my P15 Parts book. Do you know the part number? For the under carb shield that is.

I'd like to round up whatever heat shields were used on our flatheads. I know they were used, but never had one on any of my flatheads (46, 47, 2 55s, and 2 53s).

Why? If you never had any why do you think you want any now?

The only heat shield I remember you talking about was your aluminum foil hat. No wait, that was to keep THEM from stealing your brain waves.

Lee

Once again WHY? Anything there worth stealing?

I've got one for my motor, but never put it on. No problems and car starts and runs fine. Even after long drives. Makes a nice garage piece on the wall.

Get a lot of "Hey, what is that for?" :D

Why? If you never had any why do you think you want any now?

To keep my fuel from percolating when I park the car after driving in hot weather...

Once again WHY? Anything there worth stealing?

Hard to say...I think of the tinfoil hat more as a fashion statement. :D

I guess there was one down on or near the fuel pump, also something that went under the single carb. Anyone have some photos, or better yet, some used ones they might like to part with?

I have a fuel pump heat shield you can have for postage... sand blasted and ready for paint.

Send me a PM if you would like it... Might take me a bit to dig it up from the bowels of my garage.

Pete