Transmission quest

Just wanted to know if its possible to remove the shift lever and knob out of the transmission without alot of work? It will be alot easier to set my cab back on without the lever in the way. It is a four speed by the way, I dont know if that makes a difference. Thanks.... Bob:D

Two ways to possibly go - screw the collar off the shifter and pull it straight up and out of the gear box - this is what I'd recommend - after you are sure it is in neutral. Second choice would be to unbolt the top and lift it off. This would give you a chance to see how good/bad your gears look, conditionwise, but you would have to carefully reinstall the two shift rail gates into their respective collars - very careful work that you might not want to tackle if you've never been there. JMHO

Good luck.

Actually the cover comes off quite easily on the 4 speeds. That's what I did when I pulled the trans out in prep for engine removal. And setting the cover back on wasn't difficult. Just line up the shift forks and set it down. You'll probably want to make a new gasket when you reinstall it. I'd also set a piece of cardboard of similar over the hole while you set the cab on.

I've not pulled the lever out of the cover, so I can't comment on that.

Merle

Bob-would it be possible to ask you to take another picture of the tranny showing the entire front of the unit? I have one I'm trying to get put in my 52 1 ton, but the one I have is from a 54 flat 6. The top cover of the trans overhangs the front of the tranny 3/4 - 1 inch. I want to see if the one you have is the same way. Thanks-Mike F.

Hi Mike,

I was going to work on that for you this week, but I was only in the office for a half day on Monday, after a nice week of vacation, and I had to pack up and head out of town again. I'm currently up on Washburn, WI on the shores of Lake Superior waiting for a barge to get loaded so that I can work on a wheel loader.

Hopefully when I get home, probably this Friday, I can measure everything up for you. In the mean time, here's a picture of the trans in my truck that shows the cover overhanging the front.

PB180149.jpg

Merle

Guys-thanks so much-I owe you both one! Merle-just sent you an email. Mike