Engine rebuild

I just pulled the engine from my 48' B1B - it is a 53' Plymouth 218. Compression in all cylinders was 110 to 115 Lbs., so I was hoping the bottom end would be OK -- no such luck. When I removed the oil pand there was at least two inches of sludge caked in the bottom. The # 1 and # 2 connecting rod bearings are loose enough for me to move up and down with my hands. I guess I know why the engine was knocking. I have started to look for an engine rebuilder. Unfortunately for me here in northern NH there is not an engine rebuilding shop on every other corner. Local shop wanted $ 4000.00 + -- Precision Motor Rebuilders wants $1895.00 and $500.00 for shipping. Jasper wants $ 3750.00. How do these prices sound to you guys that have had rebuilds?? Does anyone out there know of a rebuilder in NH? Thanks.

Not sure of a shop in NH but I paid 1512 for mine in MN. Dropped off the engine complete from head to oilpan with no accesories on the sides. No manifolds etc. Picked it up 12 days later in the same assembled condition. Engine was bored crank turned etc

If you have the knowledge, it is alwas cheaper to doo thew job yourasewl. I overhauled my B1B in the chassis, since there was very little taper in thew cylinders. Total cost to me was a little over $700 with new pistons, rings bearings and timing components. Did the valve seats myself and had the madhine shop lodally do my valves and resurface the head. This is likely the cheapest way to go if you can do the work yourself - maby with help from this forum.

Unfortunately for us all, MoPar flathead engines cost more to overhaul than small block V-8 engines. Good Luck.