1940 Chrysler door (Key) lock not working

Hi guys,

It has been a while since I've been on here, I'm still working on my 1940 Chrysler Royal coupe. An issue I am having is with the door lock, I have a new lock which is working perfectly put it isn't locking the door. I can lock the door using the inside handle without any worry. The car was already apart when I got it so it seems I haven't got something connected properly.

Also what is the correct retainer for the door lock itself?

Trav

Edited by TravAirflow

Further testing, the lock works to unlock and lock when the door is open but as soon as it is closed the door locks with the key but will not unlock.

Using the inner handle it will lock and unlock?

• 4 weeks later...

I'm currently dealing with a similar issue, although with mine (a '47, but likely similar) getting the cylinder to work from the outside resulted in the formerly-working inside handle to no longer do so (see my other post about this). Maybe there's an exploded-view illustration of this entire assembly out there somewhere; it certainly would be helpful in visualizing how it operates. I'm not sure about your '40, but on mine there is a small set screw that serves to hold the cylinder in place, accessible through a hole in the sheet metal in the side of the door. 

well for sure I did not photograph my recent install of door locks which I rekeyed to match my existing key......the do install with the pivot at 12 o'clock....why you having issue is anyone's guess and guess it is without picture of your assemblies.....and your door opening