Transmission Question

Ronnie
Go to solution Solved by Sam Buchanan,

I was going though some older posts but wasn't able to find anything in the hole that is between the bell housing and tanny case. Is it some sort of breather? The other similar holes look to have a plug in them.  Wondering if anyone had any information on it and if a gasket it required because it disnt have one when i uninstalled. 20240414_121723.jpg.e9908b5cc55c31d75c692085a7ef9838.jpg

• Solution

Your tranny is lying on its right side so that makes it a little harder to explain. Below is my tranny right-side-up, the hole you are referencing is upper right in my photo and is for the top shift rail. It doesn't need a plug because it is above the level of the oil in the tranny. The hole being pointed to in my photo is for the counter shaft which is a press fit in the case. But it can wear and allow leakage if not sealed. That may or may not be a problem in your case.

There is a paper gasket between the tranny and bellhousing, see bottom photo.

image.jpeg.783a546a7db275ffdef7160de22f8984.jpeg

transmission-8.jpg.1132afb0573d888a282e908af438f62a.jpg

Posted (edited)

Ok so there really isn't any concern with no plug in since it's above the oil line? I just wanted to check. Didn't seem right but I initially thought it was a breather port but there is no corresponding hoke in the bell housing. 

Edited by Ronnie