1947 Desoto Custom Coupe - UK Based

Dave W_UK

Just joined as I've recently imported a 47 Desoto Custom Coupe to the UK... definitely a project and slightly rougher than initial information indicated, but not a disaster. 

Looks like someone was taking it down the matt black street rod as most of the bodyside bright work is removed(and missing) along with the fuel tank. Fuel tank is easy enough to buy a replacement but struggling on the brightwork. 

Still got the flathead 6 in place, and 3spd manual. Other curious/annoying fault is wiring, advised it ran/drove but attaching a battery just starts smoking wiring near the starter so investigations start at the weekend. 

Not sure of plans, get it running(Entered to Race the Waves in May) and the rest relies on whether I can secure the parts, in which case it's likely to be standard resto or I might smooth it out properly and finish the mild street rod look. 

20240109_065123.jpg

20240108_173657.jpg

20240108_173841.jpg

• Like 1

That's a fabulous looking car and it's great to see another 46-48 MoPar in the UK.
There are a whole bunch of these great cars over here (although not many DeSotos).
We have a facebook group for UK owners and hold an annual meet-up in the middle of the country (The P-15 Picnic) - You'll be very welcome to join us online and in person.
Please drop me a DM with your email address and I'll send info over and keep you in touch with what we're doing. This year's P15 Picnic will be on 20th and 21st April.
Welcome to this great Forum - you'll get lots of great advice here.
And it's good to hear you talking about Race The Waves. Dean and I race our Plymouths at Pendine Sands.
Look forward to catching up,
Robin

BeachBabesKodachrome.JPG.18618d0f44970ba19f6482d29a7bb1ed.JPG

• Like 1

Robin.........good to hear from you and see another pic of your great convertible........I have a question tho' re running your car on the beach...........have you had any issues re rust as a result or what steps have you taken to reduce this issue............not trying to be a PITA but genuinely curious about this issue..........thanks......and Welcome Aboard DaveW.......that looks like a nice car you have there.........andyd