Please Read The Update Announcement... ×

DeSoto Convention

DonaldSmith

Judy and I went to the 2023 National DeSoto Club Convention, in Chatham, Ontario, with our daughter Stacey, son-in-law Tim, and grandson Chris (former Ohio State practice lineman). 

We figured on driving to the the Convention on Thursday, but a shake-down cruise Wednesday evening removed all desire to driving the DeSoto, even that far.  I had fixed a number of problems, but the car just did not seem happy on the highway.  Good thing too, because something did "spring" up later, which would have made driving even worse.  

The backup plan was to rent a U-Haul trailer to transport the car.  Early research resulted in Tim renting a 3/4 ton truck to haul the car-with-trailer, since his truck's rating was not quite high enough. Stacey would to drive their truck as the chase car. 

My research indicated that the platforms on the trailer were 6 inches longer than the wheelbase of the car. Thursday morning showed that I had not accounted for the enchroachment of the tiedown apparatus.  So Tim and I took the trailer back, while Chris sourced a larger trailer, by internet, from a local enterpreneur.  Cool.  But winching the DeSoto onto the trailer removed the low-hanging mufler and pretzelized the tailppipe. 

We (the trucks, trailer and car, that is) got loaded, and we hit the border at Thursday rush hour.  We spent a weekend getting off the Ambassador Bridge that evening.

First order of business Friday was to have Midas reinstall the muffler - forget the taipipe for now.  Get off the trailer, drive across contingent parking lots to the Midas.  (Convenient, anyway.)  Someting dripping - sprung a leak, antifreeze.  Good thing I was only driving on and off the trailer and to the car show location.  

Good thing Friday night's rain forced a venue change from a beautiful, grassy ( but muddy) park to the parking lot at the hotel and Convention Centre.  Short hop.  Saturday was the car show.  Afterwards, we loaded the DeSoto one last time.  

Saturday night was the banquet.  First Class event.  As throughout the event, we schmoozed with the car people.   Despite the tribulations, it was fun.  

Some people attend for the fun but don't bring a car - fascinating concept.  For next year, Tim is talking New Orelans (without the car.)  Maybe the following year, trailer the car to Akron.  We'll see, we'll see.   

• Like 2