Veterans Day

James_Douglas

The 11th Month, on the 11Day, at 10:59AM Private Henry Gunther, Baltimore’s Own 313th Regiment, US Army, the last US solder to die in World War One hours after the armistice was signed.

To all US military veterans, I extend a happy Veterans Day (Armistice Day) and thanks for your service.

James Douglas

San Francisco.

My son, Captain Austin Akers, US Army flew home from Iraq today to his duty station at Ft Lewis, DuPont, WA. We will not see him till Christmas, but we aer joyous that for now he is not part of the misery that is Iraq. We fly the flag for him, my father, and all the Veterans living and departed to honor their service to us and to our country.

In Canada it is called Remembrance Day to honour those who served and more especially those who were killed in the service of Canada. I attend the ceremony every year at our local cenotaph with my father who served four years in the British Army during WWII. We always have a veteran from the US come every year and participate with the Stars and Stripes. It is always a very moving ceremony.