Sealed Power Rings - info clarified somewhat

Bryan

Got to looking at piston rings. Noticed on Rock Auto in one place it lists Sealed Power top rings as being ductile steel. Another place grey iron (implying cast). I wrote to them and got back an answer saying they are not ductile steel.  Just for info.  Don't know if they are cast either.

Sealed Power rings - not ductile 1.jpg

Sealed Power Answer.jpg

Just wrote to a company called Precision Rings..let's see what happens.  -> "Was wondering about how much it would cost to make 6 top rings using a modern metal with moly coating instead of cast iron? Have a 1948 Dodge flathead 6 230 ci motor with compression ratio raised from about 6.7 to almost 8.  Standard bore is 3.25". Needing .030 oversize. Sealed Power  E108X 30 and Hastings 144 030 seem to be cast iron rings, even though Sealed Power shows ductile iron (I wrote to them, it isn't ductile).    Thanks, Bryan"

• Like 1

Decades ago I remember a magazine article that explained how piston rings are made. They are cast.

From what I remember the photos looked like they were investment cast under vacuum.

There is one exception, DEVES brand rings are cut from tube stock.

Oddly some of the best engine replacement parts can be sourced from India of all places.

Piston rings, bearings and pistons are all very high quality. I once did work for a company that made truck parts among them pistons. They closed their plant and sold the real estate because they could "buy" better quality pistons from India, cheaper.

4 hours ago, Loren said:

Oddly some of the best engine replacement parts can be sourced from India of all places.

Piston rings, bearings and pistons are all very high quality. I once did work for a company that made truck parts among them pistons. They closed their plant and sold the real estate because they could "buy" better quality pistons from India, cheaper.

Read about that also. Good quality from there.  Like when I was in S Korea for 3 years. Artists could take a photograph and make a full size oil painting that was almost photographic quality. Took them a couple of months. Could take any historical picture and have them substitute relative's faces.  Wish I could find some better quality rings than cast iron.  Don't want chrome, just something not so briittle.

On 5/4/2022 at 6:27 AM, Bryan said:

Just wrote to a company called Precision Rings..let's see what happens.  -> "Was wondering about how much it would cost to make 6 top rings using a modern metal with moly coating instead of cast iron? Have a 1948 Dodge flathead 6 230 ci motor with compression ratio raised from about 6.7 to almost 8.  Standard bore is 3.25". Needing .030 oversize. Sealed Power  E108X 30 and Hastings 144 030 seem to be cast iron rings, even though Sealed Power shows ductile iron (I wrote to them, it isn't ductile).    Thanks, Bryan"

Dear Bryan,

Thank you for the inquiry.  I hope retirement is going well.  This sounds like an interesting project.  Regretfully, Pri does not manufacture piston ring sets for reciprocating combustion engines.  Please try one of the following companies:

Wiseco

Total Seal

Grover

Mahle

Ohlins USA

Hastings

Grant

Riken

Nippon

AD Ring

Niagara

The interest is appreciated.  Good luck with this!

Sincerely,

Joseph A. Eaton

International and Domestic Sales Manager

Precision Rings, Incorporated

Wrote to Total Seal..filled out their form with info ending in this->  Other-Modifications: Regular street use. Compression raised from 7 to 8. Just trying to find something better than brittle cast iron or "grey iron" rings. Looking for something more flexible and moly coated. Wondering how much it would cost.

Bryan,

Thanks for contacting us. Unfortunately, we don’t have any stock of the rings in that size at this time.

Lake Speed, Jr.
Total Seal Piston Rings