Will Need Parts For B1C Project

Guest Dodger Codger

Guest Dodger Codger

I have been given a mission to locate some parts for a 1949 Dodge pickup.

The vehicle number I was given is 83314315, and from the excellent resources I've found here already, I have deduced that this vehicle was made at the Detroit factory in 1948, and is a 3/4 ton unit model # B1C-116.

If my research is correct, that would make its powerplant a 95 horsepower 218 6-cylinder.

The truck is not readily accessible to me, so I'll have to go with what I have until I can make sure of the specs., but here's what I know I need:

1. Thermostat and thermostat housing (plus, I would assume, gasket or gaskets).

2. Replacement floorboards.

There may be more, but for right now I just need to line up some NOS or other parts suppliers, and maybe find some parts trucks out there.

Also, if anyone has the ability to track this truck's history, that would be a cool bonus favor to do for the owner/mechanic who's doing this project.

Thanks!!

Dodger Codger, go to this link for most Pilothouse B parts suppliers.

http://www40.addr.com/~merc583/pilothouse/phpage/links.html

For sure Bernbaum (www.oldmoparts.com) has thermostat and housing.

For replacement floorboards you may need to find a boneyard or parts truck.

Guest Dodger Codger
do you mean the removable floor board sections?

I honestly don't know, Dale. The skinny is that I'm horse trading for some work on my truck by tracking down some parts for my mechanic's pet project. I'll ask him specifically if that's what he needs and get back to you.

Also thanks Jim for the links, that's exactly the sort of info I was trying to find.

Digging in deeper has turned up a little bit of a mystery, however. Like I posted before, the vehicle number I got was 83314315, according to the listing I read that should make it a B1C made in Detroit in 1948, which should translate to a 3/4 ton with 116" bed. But the bossman is telling me 'no way it's a 3/4 ton', it has light rear springs and a short bed. He is also telling me it has a small, oblong rear window that doesn't sound much like a pilothouse to me at all. I'm still waiting for some pictures.

I'm getting drawn into the challenge of it (I used to be a parts warehouse guy), and the more I read about these trucks, the cooler they sound.

He's also told me that he really needs a drag link, and a window he seems to think he can get made if he has to. I'm starting to think I'm going to have to make a trip up to see the unit (about 60 miles) & get some good pictures.

Meanwhile, thanks for the info, and I'll let you know what I find out.