Site Offline 9/23/24 starting 8:00 AM PST ×

Yard Finds Today - Chrysler model ?? and more with Pics

splat1955

Okay guys, a while back I promised to get some pics of a few cars I spotted locally in a yard. First though, I must apologize for the poor quality pics. In most cases I will take the blame, and is some of these pics, I'm sure the fuziness is my fault...but I believe my camera is about to die as well...it's progressively gotten worse the last year or so...and there was no way I was going to sneak out the one I got my wife last year for Christmas....I'd never heard the end of that. I've made separate postings for the 3 other cars as well, a Cranbrook, NYer, and a '36 Packard. Being new to the old Mopar Iron, I don't know what years these are. I only know the Packard's year cause the yard guy told me.

Okay guys, so this definitely said Chrysler on it, but still being rather uneducated in this old iron, what model is this? This car was pretty cool...and still pretty complete. Although the front fenders and hood were pretty much just sitting there...the fenders still had a couple of bolts holding it to the body...the hood was just sitting on top and it's pretty thrashed. It had pretty much the compete engine, minus the carb...and it has the " spitfire " head on it. All 4 doors are there, and all are straight and complete...this car is actually pretty straight too. I tried to get a decent pic of the grill, but with all the weeds and stuff, I had my daughter stomp on them...but with the wind, they just kept popping back up....but the grill is really straight. The dash is very much complete and still looks good. Instrument panel and all. Even glove lid. I took a pic of the bumper inside the car. It was really in excellent condition....decent or better chrome and perfectly straight. The rear bumper was almost as nice...and very straight. I did check the profile of both bumpers and they are the same. Tail Light bezels were still there and very usable....no lenses though. Deck lid was very straight and all trim on the lid looked good. More pics in the next post.

post-1457-13585346403973_thumb.jpg

post-1457-13585346404322_thumb.jpg

post-1457-13585346404768_thumb.jpg

post-1457-13585346405106_thumb.jpg

post-1457-13585346405416_thumb.jpg

Yeah, I noticed that Bob...I was even thinking of pulling it to see if it had a special adapter to mount it cause I've been wanting to do something different with the steering wheel in my '48. Grant doesn't make any adaptor for our cars and I'm not sure that this one would work...guess I may have to pull it to see. But, then again, I really don't like this steering wheel either..but maybe the adapter will give me more choices.

Late model steering wheel on a 47 chrysler....

So, can anyone tell me what year this Chrysler is, and what model? How close the steering column/shaft would be to my '48 Dodge? Not concened with length, but would like to know if they are pretty much the same setup as I have in my car.....because if they are, it may be worth my time to pull that steering wheel off and see how it's attached..

Also, I've heard it referenced here on the board by some of you a couple of times......but what is the " spitfire"....is that just a head? Complete motor? Is it special in anyway as far as performance?

It`s a 1946/7/ or 8 Chryler 6 cyl.royal/ or windsor. 250 Ci. engine W/ fluid drive. W/ M-5 hydraulically operated 4 speed trans rear axle should be a 3.54 ratio.

Bob

Hey, thanks Bob...yeah, I thought it was one of those years....but I didn't know they had a model name....So, a 250 CI motor....hmmmm, I wonder how that would fair in my dodge? So, what is the " Spitfire " ? And what is the M-5? I have a fluid drive in my Dodge...it's pretty cool, 3spd on the tree, but I don't know what model number my trans is...how does it compare to this M-5?

It`s a 1946/7/ or 8 Chryler 6 cyl.royal/ or windsor. 250 Ci. engine W/ fluid drive. W/ M-5 hydraulically operated 4 speed trans rear axle should be a 3.54 ratio.

Bob

Okay, thanks Bob.....The script sure does look cool though...and 20 more cubic inches would be great...and the motor is complete I think except for carb. Are these pretty much the same motor, dimensionally as my 230? I think I've read here a few times that they are. Would this engine drop into my '48 and bolt to my fluid drive trans without a lot of fabrication since they are pretty much the same era? Not saying I'm going to go this route, but I was thinking it might be something to have sitting on the sidelines if I should ever need it.

Spitfire is simply a name they put on the head of engines back then. Does not really mean anything in terms of power or other things.