Anybody got interchange info on rocker stainless?

splat1955

Hey guys,

I'm trying to find out what other vehicles might have rocker stainless that will fit my '48 Dodge Custom 4 dr. Will the '46 & '47 Dodge 4 dr stainless work? What about a '42 Dodge 4 dr? Will any of the '46 through '48 Plymouth 4 dr stainless fit on my car? I've located some, but just wondering what else will fit. Again, any info is appreciated.

Thanks

I cant say if a 42 Dodge 4dr will work but 46 to early 49 (first series) Dodge 4dr should work. There were no body changes for those years. The only thing I can think of that could have changed is the design on the rocker moulding but you could find that out quickly by comparing a pic of a 46 and a 48's rocker mouldings.

You might look around at other makes of cars and the aftermarket stuff too. A friend of mine who is into 30's & 40's Fords gave me a set of new NOS aftermarket rocker stainless a couple of years ago. It's still wrapped in the brown paper and also came with a set of universal type clips. It's not for sale though. Keeping it in case something happens to my own stainless. As a point of interest regarding the size. This stainless can be used with the original P15 rocker clips too. I know this because I tried an original P15 clip for size. So, it is the same size.

I believe this rocker stainless must have been sold as a universal type. That's because it's adjustable in length. The pattern does resemble the D24 stainless pattern and the width of the stainless is about the same as the stainless on my P15. I also saw a set like this one on ebay some time ago, so there is more of it floating around out there.

Hey, thanks Ed & Norm.

Would either of you, or anyone else on the forum have a pic of the molding clips that are used on the '46 - '48 Plymouth for holding the rocker stainless? I'm talking about the ones that are below the doors. The ones on my car look like they are permanent...although I haven't look real close at them. There should also be a removable clip for the piece that attaches to the very rear of the front fender, and I think also a removable clip that does the same at the rear of the stainless...but in the center below the door area, those clips I could really use a picture of....and are they removable?

Hey John...thanks man....I was looking at a '42, online, that still had stainless on the rockers....the body of the car looked so close to mine, I was hoping they were the same. Oh well, I did find some, just waiting to hear from the guy and confirm. Nothing special, but I've got nothing on the rockers now, so something is better than nothing. Hey, thanks again for that valuable info...saved me from taking a chance and spending some hard earned $$ on something that wouldn't have worked.

Brian

Mopar Body and Sheet Metal manual the 1942 has part number 976 291 and 976 292 for the rocker moulding. The 1946-48 part numbers are 1151 833 and 1151 834for the rocker mouldings. I would say they don't interchange.

John

Hey....thanks Bob....I figured there is something holding those clips on...but hadn't really gotten up close to them yet to get a good look. I think you are right about the stud on the front piece....cause in my fender is a fairly good size hole for something to go through. Does anyone have a pic of the clips that bolt to the rocker? And does anyone know if the rocker stainless on the Dodges and Plymouths look the same. I've tried to find pics, but can't seem to find a pic that gives me a good view of the stainless on either car...and I don't have any for my car to compare to the Plymouth......

Those clips on the rocker panels have a bolt in the middle holding them on. But, I think there is a built in stud on the front end of the rocker stainless trim piece.