Rear spring shackles

maok

Hey all, I'm having some rear spring shackle issues on the Airstream (1936), just wondering if anyone knows if this nos kit works on our silent bushings ie the screw in type. Person selling claims it suits all mopar models from '35 to'40.

s-l1600.jpg.26ecdd44a8556a4eea22d843f42bc9a5.jpg

NOS MOPAR 1935-40 REAR SPRING SHACKLE KITS ALL MODELS | eBay

Maok............My Oz 1940 Dodge is Plymouth based and still uses those "silent bushing" type of spring bushing, ie the screw in style.....the rubber push in type as shown as far as I know were NOT used by the factory until 1941, my 1941 Plymouth Coupe did in fact have the rubber bushes and I have over the years looked into installing the rubber ones in the 40 Dodge but decided against it as the threaded remains of the silent block or screw in type is still present and I would have thought that the remains of the threads would likely tear up the rubber unduly........

...........I just checked my 1936-42 Plymouth Master Parts List and it seems that the metal screw in bushes were replaced by the rubber type sometime during the 1940 model year from a particular chassis number......in my youth, well when I was younger I pulled 6 1940 Oz Dodges apart and do not recollect ever seeing the rubber bushes back then, this was up to the mid 1980's but never bothered to check chassis numbers back then...........lol..........

............so if your original blocks where the bushes screw in are fairly clean, without any obvious threads or nicks then maybe use the rubber bushes but otherwise I'd stick to the metal ones............AND the rubber bushes are just that rubber, nothing special and should be available at any decent parts place......the metal shackle pins and brackets can be fabricated , the brackets or plates are about 1&1/2 " wide and 1/4" thick........the pins going thru them are actually a type of "shoulder" bolt, ie, if you look closely at the pic of the kit you can see that there is a definate "shoulder" on the pins, its actually about 1/8th of an inch less than the spring width which allows the tightening of the pins to compress the rubber bushes and hold them tight inside the spring and bush chassis block.............that kit would be well into the $250 Oz dollar mark to get to Oz............not for me it would be..............lol.........andyd  

I am not to sure about rear shackles for a '36, I do know that the '37 and later used a 'C' shaped shackle. When I converted the rear springs on my 39 P8 conv cpe from stock to Posie the straight type of shackles would not work. We made a set of 'C' shackles that would work with modern bushings in the frame and spring while allowing enough spring travel to clear the rear cross member. Wm

39 Plym shack 2.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Doh! Missed your post, thanks for posting.

Here is my custom unit. The pins/bolts are from an off the shelf unit which had to be turned down to match the ID of the bushes and the plates I made. The inside plate has a the back section cut out to clear the cross member, not seen in this pic.

IMG_20210825_132702741_HDR.jpg.3bc35a3a8bdeaf47482a638b72d79a50.jpg

A kit I purchased from Pedders, but the side plates were only 85mm and did not work, so I made the side plates.

633380015_Shackle2.jpg.c722e6ecf532adaf7179551c8cd4d1a0.jpg

• 1 month later...