General Upgrade and Paint Guidance on 1933 Dodge DP6 w 201

Mopar-Boy

Few quick questions: I'm looking to upgrade my 201 to a 12 volt system and going to find a way to keep the stomp starter so that it acts as the gear engagement AND the 12 volt relay to the starter itself.  Since it all works now, guessing it won't be rocket science.  Does anyone know what the ignition coil circuit should look like?  I understand that there are coils with an internal resistor, but also know that voltage drop is "kind" to points distributor which I am inclined to keep.  Any comments or guidance would be GREAT.  Secondly, if I want to clean, repaint and replace leaking gaskets therefore taking the motor out, can anyone tell me if it is necessary to remove the grill prior to pulling the motor?

Thanks,

MoparBoy

The starter doesn't care its supplied 6v or 12v, just don't drive down the street on the starter.

I would get a new coil and measure the primary resistance, most will be 1.5 ohms.  On a 12v point ignition, you need a total of 3.0 ohms primary resistance.  Purchase the appropriate ballast resistor to achieve 3.0 ohms and install it on the ignition side of the coil.  Maybe a new condenser but I left the old ones in place if they were in good condition.

Thanks Adam.  Since the foot pedal connects the starter, do I need the start wire going to one side (avoiding the resistor) and the run wire going to the other (utilizing full resistor)?  Guessing/hoping that I can just put the resistor in one single circuit.  Not even sure if there are two circuits (run vs start) on this car!