Springs are cut!

splat1955

I know this is probably not a " hot " topic, but I thought I'd share the progress on Peg....which is the name I have christenedour '48 Dodge. Anyway, last I wrote, I couldn't find the tools for changing from the grinding disc to the cutting disc on my HF angle grinder...but of course, they were right where they were supposed to be...the problem really being that I re-arrange my tool boxes and garage more often than I use some tools...so I forget where the new home for a specific tool is sometimes. It's either that or age...mine, not the tools. Anyway, found them and put on the cutting disc that I'd gotten with the grinder...and once I started cutting the springs, I remembered that it didn't cut all that fast on the U-bolts I'd cut from my jeepster. And let me tell you, it was sloooow going on the spring steel! I had 4 cuts to make, alternating between the springs. I got 1 1/2 cuts done, and the cutting disc was gone, worn down. I was bummed. So, today I went to this little store, Tool Depot, that is pretty much a Harbor Freight outlet.....real small. But they had a nice selection of discs..cutting, grinding, 4", 5", etc. So, I picked some out, 3 of them, that were a lot thinner than the one I'd used that came with the grinder. Unfortunately when I got home and mounted one, the disc didn't tighten down with the mounting plate cause the disc was so much thinner. So, I mounted my worn one on with the new one. Man, what a difference. It literally took about 10 minutes to make the other 2 1/2 cuts I needed to make, that was set up time, alternating, cutting and all. And it didn't even wear out the disc...it's still almost like new...didn't need 3 of them. What was cool is the springs didn't get near as hot with this disc as the springs had gotten with the thicker disc. Anyway, they are cut, measured them and match perfectly. And although my spring silencers are here yet, I think I am going to mount them tomorrow or Sunday with the old silencers and see how she sits. Will take some pictures and maybe post them as well.

I have a hf grinder but I picked up a Dewalt at the local sams I like it much better then the hf and the sleeve you use to tighten the disk with can be flipped over for thinner or thicker disks. I get the thin cutting disks at a local Ace hardware for about $2-3 each the thicker disks are more for grinding then cutting.

Yeah, what he said... The thin one are to cut thru and the beefy ones are to grind. that's why they are called cutting wheels. The important thing is that you cut them and they are done slap them one and take some pics please! I 'm dying to see the before and after. MK!

Hey Mackster & oldmopar.........yeah, one disc that came with the grinder labeled "grinding"......the other was labeled " cutting"........so I used it like cutting wheel. I knew something was wrong......but you guys are right, both the grinding and cutting were twice as thick as the cutting discs I got today. Man, what a difference....I just may go out tomorrow and see if there's anything else around here that needs cuttin'.:D And I'm gonna have to check out what oldmopar said about flipping the sleeve over that holds the disc....although, then there would have to be the dimpled insets on that side as well for olding the wrench for tightening....and there very well may be. Anyway, thanks guys. Man, having the right accessory makes all the difference! Will get photos soon.