My Interior mirror...flashbacks to the '70s

splat1955

Hey guys........is it me or is it my mirror. I'm just not really getting used to looking into the rear view. Was this like the first attempt at " objects may appear closer..etc" mirror? Man, each time I look out the rear windshield using the rear view I feel like I'm having a bad acid flashback......And believe me, there are good ones too! Yeah, man, everythings pretty normal, driving along.....until I look into the mirror and then it's like whoaaaaa.....tripping.

But instead of things " appearing closer".....it's like the time tunnel! My back window looks like it's a 20 feet back....about the size one of those half lens reading glasses! Now, unless I got unlucky and am the only one here with a mirror like that, then somebody else has had to address this issue. It's kind of a bummer getting a headache just from looking out the rear view for too long. I end up using my side mirror more than the rear view....which isn't bad, except I've got to constantly put my arm out there and readjust it up since I don't really need to see the road surface and be able to count the broken yellow lines.

So, have any of you tried another mirror, maybe from a different year. I don't really want to go with some aftermarket clip on thing, unless of course that's the only way I can go. Input?

Hey Norm,

I like that one too.....is it a direct replacement for ours? Got anything laying around that will work? I'd just like to be able to attach to our stock mounts.

I have a Guide Day Night inside rearview mirror (about 6 or 7" wide). No problems with it. Just recently switched to street rod California style Sally Hill mirrors. They work good too. Prior to the Sally hill mirrors I had the clip on peep mirrors with convex covers over the glass. Those worked good too.

Exhaust leak???? Surely these fine automobiles can't develope an exhaust leak......Say it ain't so!! :eek: Actually, I just want to find something that doesn't look so obscure...like I say, it almost looks like what you see when looking out the passenger side mirror in a new car.....one of the " objects may be closer......etc. I hope like heck " objects may be closer " in my mirror....otherwise the back half of my car is about a block away! :confused:

For a reference, I guess mine seems a tad far away, but then again, it's a fairly long distance from the rear view to the back window. The outline of the rearview and the back window pretty much match up for me.:cool:

Are you sure you don't have an exhaust leak?;)

Hey Norm,

I like that one too.....is it a direct replacement for ours? Got anything laying around that will work? I'd just like to be able to attach to our stock mounts.

I assume you're talking about the inside review mirror. Yes, the Guide mirrors are a direct replacement for the Mopar mirror. Just unscrew the Mopar mirror and screw this one in the same spot on the divider. I believe Don Coatney has the same mirror. Both of us had them when we bought our cars. I don't have any of those laying around. However, any good Chevy parts vendor will usually sell new reproductions. Just make sure you buy the one with the bent mounting arm and it will bolt screw right into place for you. When looking at the Chevy catalogs, I think the Day/Night Guide mirror is listed under about 1946 - about 1954.

Excellent Norm............Going to go do a search right now...unless anyone knows of a specific dealer online that stocks that mirror....sounds like the ticket! Thanks Norm.

I assume you're talking about the inside review mirror. Yes' date=' the Guide mirrors are a direct replacement for the Mopar mirror. Just unscrew the Mopar mirror and screw this one in the same spot on the divider. I believe Don Coatney has the same mirror. Both of us had them when we bought our cars. I don't have any of those laying around. However, any good Chevy parts vendor will usually sell new reproductions. Just make sure you buy the one with the bent mounting arm and it will bolt screw right into place for you. When looking at the Chevy catalogs, I think the Day/Night Guide mirror is listed under about 1946 - about 1954.[/quote']

Norm, if I may say so, those are some big-ass fuzzy dice.

I have a Guide Day Night inside rearview mirror (about 6 or 7" wide). No problems with it. Just recently switched to street rod California style Sally Hill mirrors. They work good too. Prior to the Sally hill mirrors I had the clip on peep mirrors with convex covers over the glass. Those worked good too.

Splat,

I got thinking about that two-for-one acid flashback you thought might have been induced by the mirror. You seem rather determined to replace it so when you're done with it, I mean, if I send postage, could I, er, like, um, have it? That'd be bitchin', dude, but don't tell nobody, dig?

-Randy

Splat,

I got thinking about that two-for-one acid flashback you thought might have been induced by the mirror. You seem rather determined to replace it so when you're done with it, I mean, if I send postage, could I, er, like, um, have it? That'd be bitchin', dude, but don't tell nobody, dig?

-Randy

Randy;

You might try just holding your stock mirror under your tongue for a while to see what happens. Best to try this before winter:D

Norm, if I may say so, those are some big-ass fuzzy dice.

Actually, from the dice I've seen, they are normal size. Didn't buy them at the bubble wrap store though. Those things are really small. That was the best picture I had of the inside rearview mirror. Only showed the bottom of the mirror though. I originally took that picture for Don C because we all know how he LOVES FUZZY DICE.:D