steering column tube removal P19

packratc

Wanting to remove the steering column tube to repaint it. Took off steering wheel, horn mechanism, and turn signals with wires. Loosened the shifter, took off coller at bottom of column and removed linkage from transmission rod. I thought the column would just go up toward the roof leaving the steering tube assembly in place. It moves a little over three inches and stops. I have a manual. Does not discuss it. Can't tell how it is assembled. The manual discusses removing the whole thing with the box via out the bottom of the car. If I do that I still have the problem of removing the tube. Any help or advise would be appreciated. Packratc

Did you remove the large grommet at the floor?

The photo from the engine side shows the shifting mechanism.  The little arm has to come out before the shaft jacket can be pulled through the opening.  

Jacket at firewall (1) in car.JPG

Here's the jacket shaft with big grommet coming out. 

steering jacket removed (8) base of shift rod.JPG  

Not sure I understand even from the pics. The shift mechanism catching on the floorboard is not the problem. The floorboard piece which gives you access to the pedal assembly and master cylinder is not in the car. The insulating material & floor grommet is hanging on the tube but not touching anything. It appears that the jacket is free of anything and is just hanging on the hollow steering rod that goes into the steering box.  I'm going to look at it more this AM. Thanks for the response. Certainly I'm not the only one ever to paint the column outside of the car. What's with the underlining?

there should be nothing to stop the column jacket from pulling free.  There is a cone shaped piece that slides down at the top. It goes over the splined shaft . I think its only purpose is to locate the spring that goes under the turn signal canceling hook.  It pushes against the fabric bearing art the top of the column and if it is still there, could be hanging things up.  The  steering box itself has nothing that would impede removal once the clamp has been loosened.

Got it done. I had to apply more muscle and leverage against the bottom of the tube. Once it got up 5 or so inches it came all the way out. Came out even with the seat in the car and me sitting in the driver's position. I left the shift mechanism, the insulation at the bottom and the shifter on it. Now if I can get it painted & back together and working I'll be a happy camper. Thanks for the good advice. Packratc.