1937 windshield seal replacement

pyrodork

I have a 1937 Plymouth and I need to replace the rubber seal on the crankout windshield. I don't have the rubber yet, but I want to get a head start on learning how to do it.

Also wondering if there is a rubber seal on the inside seating surface of the windshield frame as well as around the frame/glass itself. I can't seem to locate anything. It seems that there should be something there like a U channel.

While on the subject of glass, how do you replace the side glass seals? Is it just the U channel and sweeper involved? What is the proper way to mount the glass frame rollers to the regulator track? Anybody come up with hardware-store supplies to replace the U channel at a fraction of the cost?

• 2 weeks later...

Lets see, replaced my 37 dodge windshield rubber years back....same windshield frame as plymouth.

And just last week disassembled a 37 plymouth winshield to start cleanin it up.

Lynn steel has a one piece gasket.....havn't tried one but years back its what I put on my dodge and when the time comes, ill likely try it out on my plymouth windshield.  Steel was always my go to for rubber parts, with luck, the quality ain't changed in the intervening years.

http://www.steelerubber.com/search?c=/windshield-gasket&year=1937&make=plymouth&model=deluxe-p4&style=4-door-sedan

Yes, your glass sits in the frame and between the frame and glass, in the u-channel is window setting tape.  Any glass shop will have it.

Side windows, no help here.....did mine so long ago I forgot how and now its torn apart for the restomod, ain't got to that part again!

Sorry, I figured my description of the alleged U-channel may have been confusing. I'm referring to the seal above the dash and up the sides of the body surrounding the windshield; not the actual piece that holds the glass. I found Steele has it (part number 70-1276-52), but for $170! That price seems, well, insane. Remove the 1 and I'd still question it. I asked Andy Bernbaum and they haven't made it yet, but they will in the future.

For the seal around the glass piece, is it slid into the channel with the curve pointing outward or inward?

This may help.  The old rubber is pressed into somewhat of and s shape after 80 years of being pinched between window and body.  But, I'd like as install as indicated above so the edge of the rubber doesn't gap against the body.

There is the possibility that even after 80 years the shapes shown are molded in and not formed by years of compression, in which case, I'd be recommending the install exactly backwards...

That said, might be best to have the new rubber in hand before you pull yours off and or call and discuss the install with the manufacturer.

So.  To the photos.

The upper edge faces out.  The right edge go's in the groove around the outer surface of the frame.

mcKtcv2.jpg

Backing out a bit...

Fe4ejwi.jpg

As you can see, with age and weathering the lip of the rubber has curved out from the contours of the roof line and hardened into a shape that would leave a gap at the edge where you want a seal against the body.

jrQIUUZ.jpg

Looking at the side facing the interior of the cab.

9pwEKKW.jpg

Edited by Sharps40

The side profile in your first photo... The new rubber has that same lip in the middle on the one side. That side points toward the front of the car, right? (The left side on attached photo)

Nice photos! I wish the screws on my frame would come out! Too much trouble with good glass already installed.post-6690-0-06636000-1459492127_thumb.jpeg

Edited by pyrodork

Cool. Got it in! Smooth side toward the passengers (the sealing side). It took me several hours to get the darn thing fully seated!

Now I'm having issues installing it back in the car. It's a new (to me) frame, and obviously new rubber. Had to completely remove the hinges in order to even get the frame to sit right without rubbing the crank mech on the cowl. What's the recommended way to reinstall the frame? Two repair books say opposite things. The way it looks now, the top hinges can't be installed because the curved bracket that is attached to the windshield frame (it won't come out) is rubbing on the opening.

Someone who knows better should really make a video for YouTube!