aftermarket power steering on a cranbrook, good idea? experiences?

bluefoxamazone

hello,

Are there any mopar enthousiasts having experiences with installing a power steering unit on their car? I can immagine that a lot of women are having problems handling these heavy cars. I know, the moment the car is moving the handling of the wheel improves but still I think it is not realy "women friendly"...I have seen that you can buy kits with electric operated power steering. Could this be a solution?

I have read the previous posted  thread on power steering but I realy want to focus on the electric power steering systems instead of on the hydraulic ones.

I appreciate any thoughts on this,

Franky

Edited by bluefoxamazone

I put power steering in my 47 DeSoto Suburban.  Quite a project.  Here's a very brief summary:

Steering column:  Cut and support the jacket near the firewall, keeping the shifting linkage.  Provide a brush and sleeve contact for the horn wire.  Cut the steering shaft and have a splined end welded in.  Add U-joints and shaft. (This would have to be done for converting to rack-and-pinion, also.)

Steering gear:  I went with early 70's GM box, to match the splines of the existing pitman arm.  Some guys have gone to rack and pinion, maybe OK for a car lighter than mine.

Steering pump: I relocated the alternator, added a bracket for the new power steering pump, and figured how to add a pulley to the crank.  I moved the fan and radiator forward to clear the new pulley and belt. 

A lot of work, but it works; sweet.

I reported my saga to the National DeSoto Club, and they published a summary in their March-April 2015 "DeSoto Adventures" magazine.  I also have a six-chapter report available for the stout-hearted.  PM me if you are still interested. 

Another solution to the hard steering problem is to get narrow tires, like in the day, and a suicide knob.  Let the car creep forward or backward while cranking on the steering wheel.  Ungh!

• Like 1

Regarding electrically operated power steering, I looked into that.  

The unit has to be weather-protected, which means in the cabin, under the dash.  

The unit has to be in line with the steering shaft, although U-joints can change the shaft alignment and location,somewhat.  

Besides requiring alteration of the steering column, which would have to be done anyway, I saw no way to keep the gearshift shaft.  

Then there was the price, which as my mother would say, was quite dear. 

• Like 1