Is this true?

47heaven

A friend was telling me today that there is a place he read about in a hot rod magazine that takes your old generator and turns it into a 12v alternator...still using the old casing. Has anyone heard of this? The reason I ask is because I went out to start up the Plymouth today and the battery was dead. It was doing fine yesterday, but I noticed that the amp needle was jumping instead of staying stationary, like normal. Tested the car by connecting the battery cables to the portable jump starter and the car started right up. When I disconected the cables from the jump starter cables, the engine shut off. I thought the car would still stay running after the cables were disconnected, like on most cars. I was told that this may be a sign that the generator was out and therefore was not charging the battery.

I think, since I'm going 12v, that I should just run down and get a 12v alternator and the conversion fitting that goes with it. This also means that now I have to change the bulbs and get a voltage reducer for the fuel gauge, as well, until the complete wiring is done, but if there is such a place that makes these generator conversions, I'd really like to check into that, as well.

Gener-nator. Pretty pricey. Link to their site. http://www.gener-nator.com/orders.htm

Also checked some older saved emails. One says 6V generator may be available from Fifth Avenue Autique Auto Parts in Clay Center, KS, phone 785-632-3450, fifthave@oz-online.com. Another place, per a post by Niel Hoback, is Weust Electric of Terre Haute, IN, phone 1-800-283-1298.

Yes, it is true. A while ago I was trying to make a deal with one of these companies through the local Napa store. The Napa people were interested in my opinion on them. But, as luck would have it, Napa sold me a carb that leaked in a customers' car which resulted in a fire and they seem to be avoiding me because they don't want to pay the claim. This after they agreed that I would not leave me out there on my own. So... I have never heard any more about the generator/alternator thing. But I have seen them and they work well. They use a Mitsubishi unit plased inside the old generator. After modification to the alt. case. Vey expensive though.

Thanks, guys! Well, that takes care of that. Looks like I'll be getting the Delco alternator. I think that would be in my best interest and more in my price range as well. Can the 12v to 6v voltage reducer be purchased at Napa or does any auto parts store carry it? Also, where about does it get placed on the wires leading to the fuel gauge?