Sids Lowered Front Axel Any Body Use Them

Drifter99

Talk to Sid today and he wasn't real sure about the steering set up. He is very knowledgeable about the other two brands. Has anybody installed them on a B1PU I working on a 1948 going to be a daily driver staying with the flat 6 . Any help or advice would I would be grateful . Thanks Robin

I have heard talk of people wanting to do this on here but never seen any actual threads on how to do it, If you really want to do it you may be blazing the trail. I know that some people get there trucks to sit lower by removing a couple leaf springs from each of the packs. A member on here "pflaming" did this to his '52 and i love the way it sits, if he sees this he will probably chime in. 

Another alternative would be if you had a spare original front axle for your truck. Then you could get one of them dropped and see how things fit and if it doesn't work at least you can always go back to original. It sucks cause then you'll be out the cost of dropping the other axle but you may be able to recoup it by selling it. Maybe you could try mocking up the front axle 3 inches higher than where it sits now and see how the steering components work out, might be good enough to tell you if its doable or not. Good luck.

-Chris  

Thanks Chris , I was involved in installing one on a 55 Chevy a couple years ago it went smooth and easy and Sid was spot on with directions. He wasn't all the confident on Dodge and was up front about it. Way I figured it removing springs just gets about a inch down and I was looking for a little more. I'll post what good imfo I come across. Thanks

I would be interested to know how you go with one. I have been trying various options including removing a leaf or two but I couldn't get it low enough.  At the moment I have fitted the axle above the spring which lowers it by approx. 4" but there are some clearance issues with the axle and sump pan i.e quite close.  The main problem here in Queensland is that drop axles are apparently illegal and that the min  lowest point of the vehicle must be no less than 4" from the ground.

• 2 weeks later...

My truck is a 47 but I just installed my axle from Sid. It's a 2 inch drop and he stretched it so the king pin is in the stock location. Used his tie rod drop blocks and tie rod ends. He's amazing! Axle looks stock except for the drop and stretch. I had to modify the steering arm to clear the drag link and get it leveled. Other then that it was a easy install. Before the axle, I removed springs to get the drop I wanted but the axle was hitting the oil pan and the spring arc was reversed. I added back a leaf to level the arc of the spring and ordered the axle. Greg

My truck is a 47 but I just installed my axle from Sid. It's a 2 inch drop and he stretched it so the king pin is in the stock location. Used his tie rod drop blocks and tie rod ends. He's amazing! Axle looks stock except for the drop and stretch. I had to modify the steering arm to clear the drag link and get it leveled. Other then that it was a easy install. Before the axle, I removed springs to get the drop I wanted but the axle was hitting the oil pan and the spring arc was reversed. I added back a leaf to level the arc of the spring and ordered the axle. Greg

Thats awesome that you got it to work! Do you mind elaborating on what you had to do to the steering arm to get it to work, just curious?

I talk to Sid again and the fact the 48 steers off the right side it kind of double compound the situation . My truck is taken apart so taking measurements can't be done at this point.I'll try again after I get it back together to take measurements. That's for all the imput.