Distributor clamp screw

bkahler

I'm in the process of reassembling my distributor and noticed that the screw used to clamp the points tension spring is a regular straight bladed screwdriver type screw. There is no way to use a screw driver in side there and taking the plate out just to replace the points seems absurd. The service manual shows a hex head screw so obviously someone in the past has replaced the hex head with a regular screw.

I haven't yet checked the hardware stores to see if they have something that will work but will do so probably early next week. Barring the hardware store not having one would anyone know of a source for these screws?

Thanks!

Brad

There's really no need to take the whole plate out just to change the points. They have a screw that also uses a straight blade screwdriver. Just unscrew that and pull the points out. It's the same screw you use to adjust the points. Been doing that since knee high to a grass hopper in the 50's.:) That screw is short and small, so make sure you don't drop it. You can buy screwdrivers with a metal spring type holder on them to hold the screw and pull it out, then reinstall using the same screwdriver.

If you don't have one of those screwdrivers you can usually find them in the hardware store or auto parts stores.

I have never seen a hex head screw holding the points in the distributor on any car. Was always just an ordinary screw head that used a straight screwdriver.

Norm, I think Brad is talking about the screw that you have to reach from the side "used to clamp the points tension spring" and not the screw that you look straight down at to remove the whole set of points. This screw he mentioned was the same on my distributor as well and you can not reach it with a flathead screwdriver because the side of the distributor is in the way and there is no access hole to reach it. I noticed mine was loose while trying to figure out my last motor trouble and going through everything.

I used a pocket knife to tighten it as much as possible but it finally got in the position where you either break out the needle nose pliers or find an L shaped flathead tool. I have a tool like this for phillips head screws but not flat.... . Anyhow, I ended up using one of those little paint can tools they give you. It basically looks like a old bottle top opener with a slightly curved flathead end so you can pry open the lid. Works great for those hard to reach flathead screws. Best thing would be to replace the flthd screw with something you can reach from above.

I guess I thought he was talking about the screw for the points. You mentioned your L head phillips screwdriver. I have two small ones like that. One has phillips heads on both ends. The other one has two straight screwdriver heads on the ends. Both are shaped like an L on the ends. Might want to find one of those at the hardware store. Don't use them very often, but they do come in handy when you need them.

Norm, I think Brad is talking about the screw that you have to reach from the side "used to clamp the points tension spring" and not the screw that you look straight down at to remove the whole set of points.

Ed, you're correct. I hadn't thought about finding one at a swap meet. We're going to the one in Arlington Tx this fall, if I haven't found one by then I'll check there. The area where the screw is located is to tight for one of those L shaped screw drivers. That was my first thought to use one of those but its a no go.

I'll locate one some where, who knows I might have something appropriate in my junk screw box!

Thanks,

Brad

Hey Brad, I have a couple of coffee cans of nutz n bolts from Mopars, I'll see if there's one in there, and if so I'll mail you one. I have a set of ignition wrenches from Sears, tiny little open end wrenches set at funny angles. Really handy, once the right screw is in there.

Hey Brad, I have a couple of coffee cans of nutz n bolts from Mopars, I'll see if there's one in there, and if so I'll mail you one. I have a set of ignition wrenches from Sears, tiny little open end wrenches set at funny angles. Really handy, once the right screw is in there.

Normspeed, I bought a set of Sears ignition wrenches a few years back specifically to work on this truck, then I find that it doesn't have the right screw :(.

If you come across one in your little gold mine that would be great!

Thanks,

Brad

The screw of which we speak is supposed to have small flats on it, so that if we all had Brad's ignition wrench set, or one like it, we could loosen and retighten it from above with ease. Usually both the points spring itself and the hot lead from the ignition coil had slotted opeings so that the screw needed to only be loosened a few turns to slip the contact set out and replace - no neec to remove the screw. I'll bet a blue million of those original screws were dropped down inside the centrifugal advance mechanisms over the past seventy five or so years . . . . . . go figure!:)

I'll bet a blue million of those original screws were dropped down inside the centrifugal advance mechanisms over the past seventy five or so years . . . . . . go figure!:)

Dave, I checked both distributors that I have to see if either might have had the screw down in the bowels.....unforunately none were found :(

Oddly both screws were different but still needed a straight bladed screw driver to loosen.

Hmmm, maybe I need to find a dozen of these little screws...:D

Thanks,

Brad

I've dropped my share of em down there. I have a distrib that seems in good usable condition so I've kept it as a spare. Here's a pic of the screw, and also a great example of a wire with worn through insulation, just waiting to ground out on the case or points to put someone to the side of the highway. Brad, I'll PM ya.

If anyone doesn't have a set of these little wrenches, I say run don't walk to the nearest good tool store and get a set. Really handy, especially in conjunction with good nut drivers or a good 1/4 inch drive socket set.

post-64-13585345571634_thumb.jpg

post-64-13585345571991_thumb.jpg