1 ton rear diff swap

supertweet

have 4:10's in the '48 dually. I see that 50's 6 cyl chrysler car pumpkin fits the 1/2 and 3/4 ton, but not 1 ton. any other option than changing whole rear end, which i wouldn't do because want to keep original? sorry if its same old question, did research but need clarifying and then ill just live with 40mph, thank you guys, Dave in squamish.

1 Ton dodge rear axles are all to themselves-bigger than the 1/2 through 3/4 ton PU's.

But, 1940-1952 Chrysler 145" WB 8 cyl.Crown Imperial Limousine 8 passenger W/divider window and regular 145" Limo rear pumpkins should fit. Same 16 spline axles, same mount gasket, same pinion seal, same ring gear thrust pad too. The yoke is different ( can be swapped) and there is a spacer block for chrysler axle end play which the truck rear diff doesn't need or use-full floater axles. The spacer block should be able to be left in place as long as axles bolt flush to the drum hubs. The Ratio is 3.58!

Good luck finding one though, very very low production cars. I located one for my 1 ton and have yet to install it.

A 4.10 is better than my 4.30 which I have driven for 30 plus years with no ill effects. 55 Max for me.

Bob

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

I agree with DodgeB4YA. I've got a 4.3 in my 1 ton. Cruises at about 45-50 indicated, haven't had it past 55, but I'm also one that believes that cruising anything faster than what it was designed for you'll be out of brakes and steering. I'd like to find a 3.9 just to hopefully slow down the engine a bit while on a longer trip, and to improve mileage, but for what I use it for-which is mainly shows and cruises, she'll be fine. I went out with it yesterday to see how much my interior kit improved the noise inside-very pleased. Mike