canadian 218 to american 218 swap

53cranny

Hello,

I've recently posted about my canadian 218 engine and have since pulled the engine out and started dismantling for a rebuild. I was curious though, if I found an american 218 with OD transmission what sort of problems would I be looking at as far as swapping it for my engine and placing it in my engine bay? I realize it's 2 inches shorter, would that make a difference? is it two inches shorter at the front of the block necesitating a new motor mount or in the rear bringing the transmission mounts out? any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Kerry

Can't imagine why you would be interested. The chance of finding a US 217 or 230 engine is small since they were never used or sold in Canada. You would be much better off finding a Canadian long block 218' date='228, 236, 251 or 265.[/quote']

Gotta agree. That's the great thing about Canadian cars made from 1938 onward...........one size, the long block, fits all. No advantage going to the small block American engine.

finding a good canadian long block has proven a bit more difficult than previously anticipated, yet as another person posted there is a 48 plymouth with OD transmission close to me. I found performance parts for candian long blocks as well as the american 251 aren't always readily available yet the american 218/230 has quite a few. I'm really torn and I need to make a decision quickly. my 218 is going to take a lot of work and money that I currently don't have for a rebuild. Does the american 218 sound reasonable or should I just keep on looking? it made sense in my mind but what do I know? haha

Kerry

I just put an American 230 truck motor (23") in a '51 Fargo, about the same deal. All I did was weld tabs on the front of the motor mounts. Back end is the same.

I haven't done it, but a 2" spacer on the fan would be a good thing. Everything else is pretty much plug and play.

Not many Fargos in central Missouri, so a Canadian motor wasn't handy.

I'd wait until I found a 25" flathead were I you. Canadian Plymouths and Dodges, DeSotos, Chryslers, and trucks all use the 25" engine.

What I'm wondering is what would be the benefit of just keeping the long block? I'm hoping to kind of supe it up a bit but as far as I can find there are very few places to get performance parts for a long block. no dual exhaust, no dual carb intakes..only valve covers and headers. am I just looking in the wrong place??

It's a flathead out of a 48 plymouth (I'm assuming a 218) with OD transmission and rear end for $500, sounds like a steal of a deal to me.

Is the '48 Plymouth an American car or has it just had an American engine put in a Canadian Plymouth. All '48 Canadian Plymouths have the longer engine. Also, overdrive was not available in a '48 Plymouth either side of the border. Make sure of what you are getting. Have you measured the length of the block?

Incidentally, if you do a search on the forum using the search option, you will find lots of threads on performance updates on the longer block. You can make your own intake and exhaust manifolds for the longer engine as was done by Don Coatney of this forum. Do some research to check out was has been done. Also, nothing wrong with a well tuned 251 CID long block.

>I'm hoping to kind of supe it up a bit but as far as I can find

>there are very few places to get performance parts for a long block.

>no dual exhaust, no dual carb intakes

Parts are around.

I recently had custom tube headers made for my long block by Langdon. Custom made, stainless, excellent work. Cost about $300.

Langdon also came up with an Edlebrock aluminum two carb manifold with water heat (needed to be streetable without the exhaust heat) for a very reasonable price.

Had my cam reground by Edgy for about $125 or so.

You can have the head shaved anywhere.

So, parts are available.