Found my camera...

Here she is. Only usable pic at the moment, I have others on the computer, somewhere. Driver side is currently holding up a bed set so didn't bother taking a pic. I will though to get opinions on the current full wheel cover (15" stainless wire wheel look).

Anyway, it really does have over 338K miles on it. And you can see a lot of the use it got, front bumper minorly tweaked, center bumper guard loose, standard front fender rivet rot... Tailgate is in the process of being hinge "sleeved". Never had the center mount support/hinge, makes it easier to cover rotten hinge pipe.

1949Dodge.jpg

She was driven pretty much 7 days a week from early 49 to June of 74. Multiple trips all over the Pacific Northwest, down into central California, way up into northern British Columbia. That old truck hauled many head of cattle, towed horse and boat trailers, hauled thousands of tons of firewood (grandparents had a wood fired kitchen stove). Hauled half a dozen redwood starts home from the big coastal stands in Cali. Hauled thousands of tons of produce out of eastern Washington.

Original engine fell apart in 63 and was replaced. Remainder of running gear is original to the truck (less clutch disc, brake shoes and a couple wheel cylinders). Still has stock spare and I have her original wheels and hubcaps.

It will fire as it sits, but the rings are gone in 3 cylinders. 230 sitting in the yard waiting to get painted and installed.

that jives with what I've heard over the years: when the engine wore out, ya swapped in another and kept going...when they switched to unleaded gasoline, it didn't matter cuz the motor internals were plenty stout...and loose bumper guards are better than mashed or bent-over guards. It took a bit of work, but my '49 had bumper guards that had been used as hitching points for chain pullin'. The polaroids of their original condition have been lost, but believe me they looked like they'd been runn'd over by a freight train.