Clock guts replacement

Mark D

Anyone ever used one of these kits to convert their p15 Clock to a quartz movement? I'm unsettled as to whether I should replace guts or send it out for repair? I don't think this clock is original to the car and think one of the PO's may have installed it due to the fact I can't find any power feeds or light bulbs for the it. I pulled it last weekend to see if I could get it to run after reading several threads suggesting minor cleaning, and it appears to be in good shape. The quartz kits on ebay sell for 90$ - what's a repair go for? Is it worth it? I like the idea of originality, and don't want to spoil a clock that seems to have some value... (that is if the asking price of 675$ for the one on ebay is an indicator of value.. :eek: .)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Borg-Clock-Quartz-Conversion-Kit-I-3035-Repair-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3f0302dfd5QQitemZ270633459669QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

PS, there's a decent Borg clock for a '41 Chrysler on ebay right now if anyone is looking for one of them...

post-7609-13585361194177_thumb.jpg

post-7609-13585361194736_thumb.jpg

Are you familiar with Telechron motors? I have never seen one of the car clocks, but, suspect they run on a similar principle. If so, it is possible to "rejuvenate" a sluggish or non-working motor capsule. Maybe this technique can work for you; as I said I'm not sure...I've never seen one of the clocks in person.

I do a lot of radio repair work on old tube-era stuff...I have several clock radios and none of them worked at first.

Disassemble to the "capsule" that contains the gears. In a small toaster oven, heat the capsule to a low temp...say 120 or 140 for a while.

Take it out and drop a very, very light oil (I use sewing machine oil, others use 0 wt synthetic) onto the gears and it'll be drawn in via capillary action as the capsule cools. Do this a couple of times and then distribute the oil by rotating the capsule or motor enclosure into many different positions over a period of hours.

It's worked a number of times very well for me. The key with lubrication on clocks is light and only where you need it. Excess oil will draw dirt to the mechanism and only make it worse.

If this works for you, let me know.

Hey thanks for the pointers TJM. I'll give that a try this weekend. I did take the clock apart, but wasn't sure about going any further, so it went back together and back into the dash. Seems I'm missing a knob as well, but that's another battle. Getting the clock running would be a real bonus.

My son in law took his clock to a jeweler - who's used to working with

such things (watches). He went thru it and even cleaned up the face.

Now it works. Can't recall the charge, but not real bad.

I see someone has clipped the wires off yours.......should be able to

replace them if desired.

There have been other clock threads in the past, explaining how these

old clocks work and about optional ways to wire them into the car system.

If you have a clock, you certainly want to hang onto it.......the prices are

now way up there. I just have mine for looks......it's right twice a day.