Need help with serial number / model number for 1950

opticsguy

Needing help with serial number / model number for 1950. The serial number plate is gone on my newly purchased 1950 Dodge truck. This is a fuel tanker truck, and my guess would be a 13,000GVW weight rating?????

Are there other serial numbers on the frame, or? How about Engine number, will that help?

Thanks for any help!!!

I followed up the suggestion and searched the frame for a stamped number. The frame is clean other than dirt and grease and a simple cleaning revealed non rusty metal frame. No hint of any stamped letters or numbers exist on the frame. I searched form the front of the spring shackle to as far back as practical. Also checked both sides with no results.

I did find a tag on the firewall, upper left corner - number 4912-9321T (OR) 4912-932L. Any idea of what this is?

Also, just to be clear, this is a 3-4 ton truck.

Thanks again for any help.

The frame stamped numbers you seek are very difficult to see - almost to the point of being invisible. you're not looking for deep stampings here, or anything made to be seen.

I used a power cup brush on my frame when the nose was off, and couldn't find it. Finally, someone posted a shot of the location, and I used some WD40 to highlight things, and finally found it.

Why do you need the VIM number? Is it not on your title? If you have no title AND no VIN, you may be between a "rock and a pit bull.":D

Hope Not.

Good Luck.

Here's a shot of mine. It was very difficult to see until I took a paint stripper wheel on a drill and sanded away the paint and crud. Even then it helped to wipe some dirt into the numbers to make them easier to see. After I repainted the chassis I couldn't see the numbers again.

P1010214.jpg

This is the picture that I "borrowed" from the DEPTCA site that shows where it should be found. With that picture and my sanding drum/paint stripper I finally found mine. It'll help to jack it up and remove the left front wheel.

front_frame.jpg

Thanks again for your help. I went back out to check, removed the LF wheel and could not find any indication of numbers. The frame on my truck is very clean considering the age and a only a very light layer of dirt and rust, easily removed with fingers or brush so would think any numbers would heve been easily visible.

As pointed out by another member and after measuring the engine, this is a 1 and 1/2 ton or 2 ton truck, not larger. So i still wonder if numbers for the larger (non-pickup) trucks is in a different location.

Also curious about the tag found on the upper left corner on the fire wall. Is this some kind of code for paint / upholstery?????????

I will continue to explore my new truck between the roofing and other house projects.

I have not been able to upload photos.

Vintage Power Wagons has blank replacement plates for your truck if and when you find the serial number.

Being that old, myself, I would consider making one up that began with the correct digits but I would add one so that no other truck would have the same number IF you are unsuccessful finding yours.

No DMV would have anything in their computer to catch it anyway...it's not a VIN, it's a factory serial number.

The first four digits on the body tag tells you the type of cab, closed cab, panel body, chassis cowl, etc. The rest of the digits are sequential in that series of body style.

I sent you an E-mail with a link to pictures of the frame number locations on a lot of different models including the 1 1/2 ton and 2 ton trucks.

Even if you feel the frame is not dirty and easy to clean with your fingers, once you have a general idea of the number location you should clean it with a wire brush or something. I have found many stamped numbers are very hard to find without cleaning the frame pretty well. I have looked at least a hundred frame numbers, and I am pretty familiar with the tricks needed to make them show up.

Eric

Thanks to Dodgeb4ya for his information on locating frame serial numbers for 1and1/2 ton trucks. The serial number on my tanker was, indeed, above the front spring mounting.

Thanks for everyones help, Kreig

""The serial# is definately stamped on the drivers side frame right above the forward spring mounting bracket on 1-1/2 through 2-1/2 tonners. Sand the frame well and then you will see it. I checked 5 of my 1948-52 Dodge trucks all 1-1/2 ton through 4 ton. They all had the #'s stamped in the frame. The 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 tons all have the # directly above the mount. The 3 ton and higher have the # stamped to the rear of the spring bracket and all are stamped much deeper than the medium duty trucks. Shown are a couple Serial #'s off my parts trucks. Use of a 1948-53 Dodge truck parts book will then help ID the truck. It has all the serial #'s.

Bob ""