coolant leak?

Aaron

I noticed the other day there was some coolant sitting in the 'belly' of the fan part that holds the belt on front of the water pump.

From the picture I attached, has anyone seen this before and if so, can you tell me where it is possibly coming from and what I need to do at this point to fix it.

Aaron

post-2003-13585349729211_thumb.jpg

Aaron, your B1B external bypass water pump may be worn out. If it's the original pump it's had several million revolutions of wear on the fan/pulley shaft bushing/bearings, so water may be coming out here. It will slowly get worse as the pump shaft starts to wobble. I believe there are rebuild kits, but you can replace the entire waterpump at Napa or other auto parts stores. Napa used to have an internal bypass number 55-713 for around $70-80 bucks. There should also be an external bypass equivalent for the older Pilothouses. Use the Search Mode on the forum for waterpumps. There is a lot of discussion on the subject here.

Jim in Dallas

Jim, I thought I had an internal by-pass waterpump since there is no direct connection to the thermostat housing?? check out my attached picture.

post-2003-13585349730951_thumb.jpg

NAPA does sell both styles new and rebuilt. Bought one of each last year. Mike

If you over lube the pump you can blow the seal. This is one fitting you do not want to grease until you see the grease come out. If you do see the grease come out it is too late. Also best to use the grease that is sold for boat trailer wheel bearings as it is water resistant.

I have read several other posts regarding internal and external by-pass, but am still confused as to how you can tell which is which. Can someone explain this again?

Can I tell what I have by just looking inside the hood???

I just ordered a waterpump from NAPA #42-554. He said that is the only pump that shows up for my B1B. He also said it is the same number that shows up for the B4B's?

post-2003-13585349732753_thumb.jpg

You have an internall by-pass system on your engine. Compare the backing plate on the new NAPA pump. If it matches the backing plate on your old pump you are good to go. If it does not match then install your old backing plate on the new pump and you should be good to go.

As you mentioned if there is a short hose between the thermostat housing and the water pump then it is an external by-pass.

That is what I thought! Thanks for clarifying. My pump is on order, so will have to wait until the end of the week to see what I get!

Anyone have some good NAPA numbers for internal by-pass thermostats specifically a lower temperature rated one that will work in my housing?

Aaron,

You can get Marine grease in small cannister tubes at WalMart. It is made for outboard motors and boat trailer wheel bearings and is waterproof. That is where i got my water pump grease - had to buy a little grease gun to match the little tube the stuff comes in. It is much better quality grease than the original long fiber water pump grease ever was - very waterproof and a good lube too. I sure would try this before I buy a new w/p. JMHO

Good luck

• 3 weeks later...

Well, got my new waterpump on and put everything back together only to now see I have a small coolant drip from the bottom of the waterpump!:mad:

I used the gasket that came with the pump and also added silicone gasket maker on both sides of the felt gasket.

I'm going to pull this sucker off again this week.

Well, got my new waterpump on and put everything back together only to now see I have a small coolant drip from the bottom of the waterpump!:mad:

I used the gasket that came with the pump and also added silicone gasket maker on both sides of the felt gasket.

I'm going to pull this sucker off again this week.

Try this. Remove one water pump bolt at a time and coat the threads with a thread sealent, then re-install them. I also had leaks after installing my water pump but the leaks were from the bolts as they enter the water jacket and the threads will leak unless they are sealed.