54 Fargo (Dodge)

Trying to identify the motor in my 54 Fargo FCID, serial number 91510966 (early 1954 3/4 ton).  Motor number located on upper left side of block is 7317 1081C -  with DCPD L38 and 1534099 stamped on cylinder head.  Block is 25 inches.  Any help appreciated. 

I'm guessing that your engine number "7317..." is actually T317... That would identify it as a Truck engine. I did some looking at www.t137.com but that engine number isn't listed in their guides. However, it may be because they don't have the Fargo engine number's guide listed. Maybe someone has a list of Fargo engine numbers that can assist. 

Typically the 1 ton trucks used the 230 CID engines. In your case, with a 25" engine, it would probably be the 228 CID version.

Upon further inspection  of the s/n guides I found that T339 is listed for the Canadian Fargo FC-1-D6, and it shows either 228 or 251 CID. So, unless someone can decipher the T317 we're not any further ahead.

Thanks Merle,  Yes it is a T317. My Fargo workshop manual shows that this truck did have the 228.  I was a bit confused with the 25 inch block.  Obviously block length does not mean a bigger motor CI displacement.  I have a 1953 Dodge frame in excellent condition and intended to put my Fargo body and motor in the 53 frame.  However, the B3B used a motor mount that was actually part of the bell housing. At first I thought it would be simple - put the older motor mount on my Fargo motor and pop it in.  Nope, the 25 inch block throws everything off, as does the slightly larger pilot cab used in 1954.  .  So I am going to use my original Fargo frame, motor and transmission.  I will be able to cannibalize the gas tank, running board mounts and few other parts from the 53 frame.  When all is done, I will have a left over 53 B3B chassis, motor and trans.