sand blasting frame

Guest 49 pilot

I have a small 5 gallon blaster that I need to fill three times per sack of #4 silica. I'm been on it for 8 hours and seven 100 lb bags. I am half finished. I estimate will finish next weekend, 16 hours and 14 bags total. I do not have a recovery system so my alley looks like a giant sandbox.

I'm rethinking blasting the sheet metal and may send it in pieces to a soda blaster group.

Guest Dave Claussen

Where are you located? I had my stripped down frame blasted in an afternoon for $100 here in northwest Indiana. He did a decent job and would have primed it for me too, had I been ready for that. (I wasn't) I had to make sure EVERYTHING that I didn't want blasted was removed 'cause he hits it all! You can't buy the media it would take to do it for that much. Kinda makes me wonder how he makes any money at it, but I didn't look a gift horse in the mouth. Dave

Guest 49 pilot

thanks for the advice guys...my frame is stripped down the bare bones,,,had to remove the forward cab mounts,,,,as there are 2 large holes on both frame rails. a fellow down the road charges $30.00 hour to sand blast...and another shop has a booth the frame would ride through...I''ll check with them to get a price.....thanks for your help guys...

quote of the day..............when you loose say little.......when you win, say less......

We did a firetruck we were restoring a few years ago. We put tarps under the vehicle and kept recycling the used media through the blaster-did it several times. We strained it before putting it through the blaster again-just used a piece of window screen to keep the big stuff out. Worked fine. Mike