Engine reassembly questions

steveplym

Getting ready to reassemble my 218 in the next week or so and have a few questions on what to watch for, etc.

When installing head is it best to coat the threads of the head bolts with some type of sealant as they go into the water jackets? Silicone, or what type of sealant?

Best to coat the crankshaft journals with oil, pre-lube, or stp oil treatment before assembling bearing caps?

Any thing to watch out for when installing the main and rod bearings? Also is there any thing to watch when installing rear and front main seals?

Thanks for the help, just trying to use the experience of others to save myself from any troubles I can avoid.

I used plumbers pipe joint compound as per the recommendation of VPW and several forum members.

http://www.vintagepowerwagons.com/products/parts/group1-engine.htm

(page 16 of the catalog)

Use the best engine assembly pre-lube you can find. Don't cut corners there.

Others will chime in with more. These guys are the best...

Some great tips in this story as well:

http://www.allpar.com/cars/desoto/suburban-1951.html

I used a Permatex white thread sealer, worked ok. As I recall you put the sealer on all the head bolts except the ones that are through-drilled into the intake ports.

Here's a useful one: there are a couple head bolts that are drilled and threaded in the top. One for the battery ground and one for the throttle return spring anchor. Left front and left rear corner on a 53 motor. Make sure you get them where you want them. Carb linkages vary, so yours being an earlier one may not have two of those, or the anchor bolt may be at another location.

post-64-1358534652954_thumb.jpg

I used regular 3M pipe joint sealer (brush type) to seal the head bolts, etc., except those mentioned by Normspeed.

You should coat all moving parts with oil when assembling. I just used the 10W 30W oil on a rag. Wiped it on all moving parts, including the ports for the valves and pistons. Then I put just a few drops of oil on top of each piston. All that oil on the pistons etc. will cause the car to smoke a little on startup, but it burns off in a few minutes of running the engine, and stops smoking then.