Any Info on this Sears Craftsman Diagnostic Analyzer?

splat1955

Hey Guys,

Just wondering if this looks familiar to anyone. Anybody have one of these and might still have a manual or know anyone that might? The front say's Sears Craftsman Diagnostic Analyzer. Face plate says " sears, roebuck & co. " The fact that they use Roebuck in the name and a comma after sears should indicate that it is probably '70s era....not much later if at all.

I could not find anything on the body that specifically stated " Model #". There is just a tag on the back with two lines, the first line is " A 85 ", the second line is " 161.2104500 "

Nothing on the gauge face or control panel says anything about 6 Volt....but then again, nothing really says 12 Volt either. I was hoping it could be used on the 6 Volt system of my '48 Dodge..but I know it works on a 12 V system cause I've used it on my '69 Jeepster. It came with a cable for each of the plugs you can see on the control panel. Anyway, any info that anyone can give would be greatly appreciated and I could really use a copy of the manual.

post-1457-13585346266879_thumb.jpg

post-1457-13585346267192_thumb.jpg

Hey Norm,

That's actually the power switch...it says' "Digital Power " above it. The white plug just below it is " Volts/Ohms.

Good point about a switch to go from 6 to 12.....But nothing like that. Would have thought that would have been on one of the dials. Possibly a 12 V only unit.....just seems odd though..

What does it say just above the switch on the lower right corner. Also the button or plug just below that on the end. If it is a 6V/12V unit it has to have a switch to switch it from one to another.

It's a Craftsman Engine Analyzer model 161.210400. Bought it at a garage sale a couple of months ago for $2.00. Looks like it has all the cables but no manual. Been meaning to track down some more info on it.

I think these were 'private-labelled' for Sears by another manufacturer so if anyone has another brand that has a family resemblance it shouldn't be a surprise.

If I dig up any additional information I'll post it here.

Harold

Hey Harold,

Thanks.....the part # on mine ends in 500.....instead of 400 as yours does....maybe no difference or a little later. Anyway, yeah, if you find anything out more about it or someone with a manual that's willing to copy it for us, let me know.....I'd really like to have one. I'll post the same question on a couple of other forums with pics also and see if we get any leads from those as well. Oh, and I think you are right about it being built by somebody else and Sears put thier name on it. Thanks again.

Brian

It's a Craftsman Engine Analyzer model 161.210400. Bought it at a garage sale a couple of months ago for $2.00. Looks like it has all the cables but no manual. Been meaning to track down some more info on it.

I think these were 'private-labelled' for Sears by another manufacturer so if anyone has another brand that has a family resemblance it shouldn't be a surprise.

If I dig up any additional information I'll post it here.

Harold

Norrism1,

Thanks for the lookup. At least I know I'm not alone looking for a manual.

Splat1955,

Your tester may be a little more sophisticated than the one I have. Your control panel has a couple more switches, and in Sears logic a '500' probably outranks a '400'.

I'm sure there is more info out there, it's just a matter of finding it.

Harold

Well, looks like I opened a can of worms.....but it's good to know that we already have a few of us looking for a manual....maybe if one of us finds a copy, we can make a few and get them around to all of us that have the analyzer.

I've put the pic and question to 3 other forums as well this afternoon....so hopefully, something will come our way. Thanks guys.

Guys don't give up on getting an answer. As you know most forums aren't as active as this one is, so it could take awhile before someone replies. I was still on the POC forum and this one when I found someone with a book for mine. Even though Ken is on this forum, I believe he answered me from the POC forum.

I know I've been guilty of cutting the POC on their rules, etc. However, I did get copy of that book through that forum. FYI in 1995, before my internet days I also got an original copy of the Fulton Sunvisor instructions from another member of the POC. I was a member then and had put an ad in the Bulletin asking anyone if they had some instructions they could copy for me. All of a sudden one day I had a letter in my mailbox from a gentleman in Canada with an original copy of the instructions so I could mount my sunvisor. Thanks to him I was able to make up that page on my site with the instructions.

So.......post that question on every forum you have time to watch for an answer on. Somebody, somewhere will have one and hopefully be willing to copy it for you.

Quick Update: Based on Norris's idea, I put my model number into Google and got one hit....a guy in the next town over from me in New Jersey is selling one of these engine analyzers! Talk about a small world. If I work up the courage, I might call him and see if I can photocopy the book, if he has it.

Harold

Hey jtw........Let us know what ya have....If it's like ours, could you check to see if you still have the manual....Thanks

Brian

I have a meter similar to those shown, but not sure if mine is a Craftsman, as I have a Sun that I mostly use. But I'll check in the morning. Let ya know.

Hey Guys,

I'd forgotten to update you guys who are looking for the manual like I am. I belong to a jeepster forum and a Colorado/Canyon forum...posted pics on those forums with out needs, 3 or 4 guys from those forums say they have the analyzer like mine, or very close. One guy says he has that one for sure. Anyway, 1 guy is supposed to be scanning a copy of the manual for part # 161.2104250....which is pretty close to our models. He's supposed to scan it this Sunday and get it sent Sunday or Monday. Another guy that I've done business with on the Jeepster site says he's got that model and will pull the manual and send a copy. Waiting to hear back from the 1 or 2 other guys. Anyway, we might have something soon.

Those are great looking analyzers. The key is having the various hookup wires. Those little plugs on the front are all different and they have kind of a "proprietary" look.

Norm, in the picture I posted of mine you only see the analyzer. However, all the hook up connections are also in the picture. They are stored in a compartment in the back of the analyzer, so most of the ones you see will have them in there. The instruction book seems to be the biggest problem getting lost over the years.

Yeah Norm,

All the plugs are different. When I purchased mine, all the correct cables came with it, and am hoping that this weekend might produce a manual from some of the guys on other forums I've had contact with.

Norm' date=' in the picture I posted of mine you only see the analyzer. However, all the hook up connections are also in the picture. They are stored in a compartment in the back of the analyzer, so most of the ones you see will have them in there. The instruction book seems to be the biggest problem getting lost over the years.[/quote']