Bed Rails

Bouncy B

When I bought my truck for $500 it only had one of the rails or cross members that attaches to the frame and it was warped. So I set out trying to find new metal. How hard can it be I thought. It's only a piece of iron. I found out. It's impossible. "That's a formed piece" they said at the metal yards. They had metal two inches tall but only 7/8" wide and it was tapered. So here's what I did. I bought 2" square tubing. If you want to be very original, you could cut one side off to make the C channel like the original. But I drilled a 1" hole in the top and a smaller hole the size of the bolt in the bottom. Then I could get my socket through the bigger hole to hold the bolt to attach it to the truck frame. Worked great. Not visible after covered with wood. And only cost $20. Just a thought for not-so-purists out there.

Richard

• 2 weeks later...