47 p15 front end

Guest dmackustom

Guest dmackustom

has anyone used the front "clip" from fatman? I decided to go ahead with my project '47 p15. Im going for a low stance Im just at the planning stage but your input is valued. Im having a hard time getting excited about this project as the front end/subframe task seems so daunting

Guest dmackustom

Im all into the idea of spending a little less and not having to subframe. Im not building a show car just something that can be fun and reliable. Dropped uprights and springs should get me the low that I want and disc brakes. what about cleaning up the steering? My steering box is the size of a turkey. Is there a popular conversion? there is barely any room for headers or manifolds

I dropped the rear with 2" lowering blocks and I have a pair of cut down coils to try up front. Tim is right as far as the dropped spindles being a great way to go. For me, I'll try the chopped coils first, like Norm, then if I don't like the ride or handling I'll think about spindles.

Fatman does sell a spindle assembly that is dropped about 2.5" with the stock spring. Be aware that you will need to convert to disk brakes to use this spindle (I managed to get them to work with stock drums, but wouldn't recommend it in retrospect!), and you should use his brackets to move the top shock mount to the frame.

Marty

Guest dmackustom

Im of the opinion that there is low, too low, and then just right. I am willing to take the extra time to negotiate road hazards. Ive been driving'em low for awhile and really miss having a project. Im willing to spend the money to do things right, but I dont want to spend the dough on things I dont really need. I have some buddies that are pushin me to do a subframe and they have built some badass rides. I just thought that I would gleen some info from people that truly love the mopars.

I have a friend who is installing the Fatman Mustand II front clip. The instructions are very complete, he cut the frame off with a reciprocating saw and we installed the clip which has locater plates in the clip to his frame. The biggest problen that I see with this approach is the $2500.00 dollars that the complete clip costs without labor and welding.

All the stuff everyone is talking about is a lot of work and costly.

If you're really lazy and cheap you can go the route I did and just heat the coils. I had to cut the rubber snubbers in half though. It rides well enough and handles well. It only cost a little gas and oxygen.

Bob

Think I would rather buy new shorter coils than have the heated ones. Back in the 1960s I had a P15 coupe, and had the coils heated to lower it a bit. Don't recall how much it went down, a couple inches perhaps. It rode more roughly after that. Did not lower the rear. The car did not get extensive or hard driving as it was basically a clunker and just putted around town.

Guest dmackustom

I think its pretty much settled. Fatman clip. with mustang 2 type components. Gives me limitless options: big brakes, airide, coilover, Rack and pinion, drop in ride height and still maintain perfect geometry, completely road worthy so Tim will like it too. And its all new. No need to walk into the parts store with my fingers crossed. Sure it costs more but it will be done right and all dat good stuff.

Guest Jon Dalrymple

Hope this image works of my Fatman clip, My original frame had been cracked and rewelded but was cracking again right behind the cross member. Thats why I went this route, it is expensive but am happy with the results. I have 350# rated springs that I had to cut one coil from to get proprer ride hight. It does rides a little stiff and am thinking of changing to lighter coils.

Jon D.

Guest Jon Dalrymple

Marty,

The frame is cut right behind the cross member and clip is slide inside original frame. The clutch and other stuff is not affected. I don't have an image handy so hope this answers your question.